Bleak House (Norton Critical Editions)

by Charles Dickens | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 2/16/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, February 16, 2018
I got this fair-condition softcover (with some highlighting here and there) from the Book Cellar, as it's on the book-group list for later this year. This is one of my favorite Dickens novels, though it took me until fairly late in life to have the courage to dig into it.

As so often happens, I found that I enjoyed the secondary characters (Mr. George and young Jo among others) and their stories more than those of the principal characters, but I found the whole network of relationships very entertaining - and all the more satisfying because I could spot most of the twists and surprises well before I got to them, which made me feel clever {grin}. An absorbing novel, now one of my favorite Dickens works. [And I highly recommend the unabridged-audio version as read by Robert Whitfield, aka Simon Vance.]

The 2005 mini-series based on the book was very well done, a good book-to-screen adaptation. And there's a TV Tropes page with lots of interesting tidbits.

I left this book in the Little Free Library on the Greenway on this warm day, along with several others - the LFL was empty when we got there! Hope someone enjoys the book!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Movie release challenge. ***