The Snowman

by Jo Nesbo | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 2/12/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, February 12, 2018
I found this paperback in this Little Free Library in Waltham MA while dropping off some books of my own, and nabbed it for another release copy.

It's from a Norwegian noir series, and features literal snowmen with VERY sinister meanings, plus some grisly - and increasingly improbable - killings. Oh, I enjoyed the details, mind, and the masterful misleading plot twists and turns, but there were several places where I had to stop and think "Just *how* did the killer manage to do all this within the given time and without leaving more traces?" Here and there, the story explains these things, yet it was often unconvincing - indeed, at times I'd almost have preferred an outright supernatural explanation!

That said, the characters - victims, suspects, police, and those who love/hate/fear them - were interesting, with several tantalizing plotlines that all wove into the main story.

And what's with the mold-inspector guy? Protagonist Harry, an on-the-wagon (mostly) alcoholic who's a very good cop when he's in his right mind but has problems juggling his work and personal life, seems awfully laid-back about the appearance of this person in his apartment, and while it may be just another red herring in *this* story, the final paragraph suggests something more in the next one. Or maybe I'm reading too much into that!

This does seem to be the kind of series where anyone who forms an attachment to the protagonist is in for some serious suffering...

[There's a TV Tropes page on the series. And there's a 2017 film adaptation.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library #37936 in Haverhill, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Released 9 mos ago (2/15/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library #37936 in Haverhill, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library, which I stumbled upon while looking for an older one {wry grin}. Hope someone enjoys the book!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Movie release challenge. ***