corner corner Cod: A Biography of the Fish that Changed the World

Cod: A Biography of the Fish that Changed the World
by Mark Kurlansky | History
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 2/12/2018

status (set by GoryDetails): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, February 12, 2018

I found this good-condition softcover in this Little Free Library in Lexington MA while dropping off some books of my own, and was glad of another release copy.

I really enjoyed this back when I first read it. It's interesting, but also frightening - the images of those massive bottom-dragging nets laying waste to entire swathes of ocean, of mind-boggling populations of fish taken to the brink of extinction... It's no news that humankind can do a lot of damage in a very short time; whether the steps taken to slow the destruction are working, I don't know. The historical aspects of cod-fishing and its influences were fascinating; among other things, the author suggests that Basque fishermen may have discovered North America long before Columbus did [though after the Vikings], but kept it secret to preserve the fishing - and fish-drying - grounds for themselves. And there's an account of battles at sea between Canada and the US over fishing rights, including at least one small episode involving gunfire - the only time those two countries fired a shot at each other, and it was over fish.

The "cod recipes through the centuries" section is lighter in tone, and ranges from "ewwww! Who could eat THAT!" to "Mmmmm! I want some!"

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Elm St. (see notes for details) in Manchester, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, March 03, 2018

Released 2 wks ago (3/3/2018 UTC) at Elm St. (see notes for details) in Manchester, New Hampshire USA

I plan to leave this book in or near Piccola Italia restaurant at 815 Elm St. while stopping by for dinner; hope the finder enjoys the book!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Wine+Food Release Challenge. ***