corner corner Crooked Heart

Crooked Heart
by Lissa Evans | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingApoloniaXwing of Berlin, Berlin Germany on 2/12/2018

status (set by lils74): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingApoloniaXwing from Berlin, Berlin Germany on Monday, February 12, 2018

When Noel Bostock - aged ten, no family - is evacuated from London to escape the Blitz, he winds up in St Albans with Vera Sedge - thiry-six, drowning in debts. Always desperate for money, she's unscrupulous about how she gets it.
The war's thrown up all manner of new opportunities but what Vee needs is a cool head and the ability to make a plan. On her own, she's a disaster. With Noel, she's a team.
Together they cook up an idea. But there are plenty of other people making money out of the war and some of them are dangerous. Noel may have been moved to safety, but he isn't actually safe at all.

Longlisted for the Baileys Women's Prize for Fiction, 2015.

A good read.

Journal Entry 2 by wingApoloniaXwing at Kathmandu, Bagmati Nepal on Sunday, February 18, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (2/18/2018 UTC) at Kathmandu, Bagmati Nepal

Given to lils74 when we met at Bouddha and had Chinese food together, and Vietnamese coffee.

Journal Entry 3 by lils74 at Kathmandu, Bagmati Nepal on Monday, February 19, 2018

Got this surprise book from ApoloniaX yesterday - I thought I'd heard of it before but as turns out after reading the back, I hadn't. Nonetheless, it looks fascinating and I'm interested to give it a try. Thanks!