Fairytales Slashed: Volume 8

Registered by wingSpatialwing of Moneta, Virginia USA on 2/9/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingSpatialwing from Moneta, Virginia USA on Friday, February 09, 2018
I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway. I can't resist fairytale retellings!

Giveaway details:
"Enter for a chance to win one print copy of Fairytales Slashed Volume 8, an LGBT+ reimagining of classic fairytales published by Less Than Three Press!"

Journal Entry 2 by wingSpatialwing at Arlington, Virginia USA on Wednesday, March 14, 2018
Fairytales Slashed: Volume 8Fairytales Slashed: Volume 8 by Althea Claire Duffy

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

***Received via a Goodreads Giveaway***

I'm not much of a short story fan, but this is one of the best collections (as a whole) I've read.
As another reviewer noted, the stories get better as you read through the book. So, my three favorites are the last three stories:

The Sky Hunter and the Princess by Althea Claire Duffy
Not sure which fairytale this is a retelling of or if it's an original fairytale. An interesting story with two strong women finding themselves and finding love.

The Last Petal on the Rose by Stephanie Rabig
An original take on Beauty and the Beast where the 'Beast' is a political prisoner and 'Beauty' is an accident-prone prince belittled by his father.

Sleeping Betty by Kodi Marshall
I believe this was my favorite with Meg, a maid whose backtalking lands her on 'princess duty'! A punishment that finds her locked in the tower with 'Sleeping Beauty' to clean every speck of dust and to watch for any signs the princess is waking. Meg is a funny, vivid character and the heart of the story.

Honorable Mention would be a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood called Riding Red by Charles Payseur. A fun caper that draws on several fairytales. My only negative comment would be the erotica in the story. The erotica actually fits the story well, but within the collection as a whole, it's out-of-place. Other than Riding Red's erotica element and the weird threat of incestual rape in the first story of the book, the rest of the collection is milder.

All-in-all, a very well curated collection of stories! And other than the typo on the spine, I didn't see any typos in the stories. That has been surprisingly rare in the last few collections I've read and those contained stories from some well-known authors. So, well done whoever edited this book!

Reserved for Zoom International BC Unconvention 2021 Book Buffet OFFERINGS FOR UNITED STATES

Journal Entry 3 by wingSpatialwing at Un-Convention, BookCrossing Convention -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, April 17, 2021

Released 3 wks ago (4/15/2021 UTC) at Un-Convention, BookCrossing Convention -- Controlled Releases

✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩

Sending to Azuki who chose this book from the
Zoom International BC Unconvention 2021 Book Buffet OFFERINGS FOR UNITED STATES!

Stay safe & Happy reading!

✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩

Journal Entry 4 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Friday, April 23, 2021
I love fairytale retelling, so I am excited to receive this. Thank you so much Spatial for participating in the Virtual UnCon, and for sharing your books.