Women in Science: 100 Postcards

by Rachel Ignotofsky | Science |
Registered by wingPoodlesisterwing of Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on 2/8/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingPoodlesisterwing from Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, February 08, 2018
An impulse buy in Waterstones. I will give postcards to Bookcrossers and other friends.

Released 3 yrs ago (2/9/2018 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

First postcard (Grace Hopper) goes to the winner of the Stationery Sweeps, Kirjakko.

Journal Entry 3 by wingkirjakkowing at Sipoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, February 14, 2018
Arrived on Valentine's Day, thank you!

Journal Entry 4 by dolph1n at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 20, 2018
Thank you for the cards. Rachel Carson is a woman after my own heart so I am pleased that it is for me to keep. I think I will frame it...
Mae Jemison is another woman I admire greatly. I will pass this on.

Journal Entry 5 by wingCassandra2020wing at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 21, 2018
Miriam Marzahkhani! perfect choice for me.... I was a mathematician of sorts. Well I studied Maths, Stats and Computing at college and went on to work in the IT industry.

Thank you so much for this, the Votes for Women postcard and the labels.

Journal Entry 6 by barbieq233 at Candler, North Carolina USA on Sunday, February 25, 2018
I got Lillian Gilbreth and I love it. Beautiful card. Thank you so much.

Journal Entry 7 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, February 25, 2018
Thank you for the surprise - I love both postcards and will share the stamp and the Votes for Women postcard with Mom.

What a great choice: chemist Alice Ball, first African American and first woman to graduate from the University of Hawaii! I hadn't heard of her but I'm glad she's finally getting the recognition she deserved for her important work on the treatment of Hansen’s disease.

I was tempted by those postcards last summer (love the artwork), but opted for the book instead (still TBR). Does the postcard set have two of each woman?

(Larger photo here.)

Journal Entry 8 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, February 25, 2018
An answer for hyphen8. There are two of each postcard. One to share, one to keep.

Journal Entry 9 by wingtomato68wing at Downey, California USA on Sunday, February 25, 2018
I got Emmy Noether who was a Methematician and Theoretical Physicist. I also received a Votes for Women post card. Thank you so much Poodlesister. I loved getting a surprise in the mail!

Journal Entry 10 by GLAROS at Larissa / Λάρισα, Larisa Greece on Wednesday, February 28, 2018
Thanks!
Grazie!!
Merci!!!
Ευχαριστώ!!!!

J'ai reçu la carte sur Marie Curie ( physicist and chemist ) et Votes for Women + BC label 😄😃:-))

Journal Entry 11 by millycat at Northampton, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Thursday, March 15, 2018
This arrived today as part of a lovely wishlist tag parcel, thankyou! I have Maria Sibylla Merian, scientific illustrator & entomologist.

Journal Entry 12 by wingbrunton11wing at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Thursday, March 15, 2018
What a lovely idea :) Patricia Bath - ophthalmologist and inventor received with interest by another maths graduate and operational researcher!

Journal Entry 13 by wingMankyiwing at Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Saturday, March 17, 2018
Thank you very much for this lovely card and the books!:)

Journal Entry 14 by wingmissmarkeywing at Harwell, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, March 19, 2018
I got Vera Rubin, astronomer, who discovered real proof that dark matter exists. Go, Vera!

Journal Entry 15 by MargaridaPires at Pias (Serpa), Beja Portugal on Friday, March 30, 2018
I've got Hedy Lamarr, inventor and film actress, for my birthday! Thank you so much, Poodlesister :)

Journal Entry 16 by wingFroschilewing at Kempten (Allgäu), Bayern Germany on Sunday, April 01, 2018
Thank you for "Emmy Noether" - a mathematician and theoretical physicist
Hope, she can help me counting my easter eggs and presents I got from you! Thanks a lot and HAPPY EASTER!

Journal Entry 17 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, April 04, 2018
My card came as part of an awesome wish list tag parcel. I got Florence Bascom, a geologist and educator. She was the first woman to work for the US Geological Survey and trained almost every geologist of her time. Amazing!! Unbeknown to Poodlesister, it happens that I collect rocks and beautiful stones. How serendipitously appropriate!

Journal Entry 18 by wingsakirmowing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Wednesday, April 04, 2018
Thank you, a great idea! Lillian Gilberth just came for a visit, as part of 'You've got mail' sweepstakes.

Journal Entry 19 by Flutterbies9 at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Thursday, April 05, 2018
Yeah, I've got Mary Anning (Fossil Collector and Paleontologist) and I knew straight away who this was. In fact, I read Tracy Chevalier's Remarkable Creatures just around 5 yrs ago at this time of year and enjoyed it hugely (See
http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/11525510/ ) which was 'about' Mary Anning.

Thank you for including me in your Women in Science postcards.

Journal Entry 20 by wingbloedengelwing at Vosselaar, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Thursday, April 12, 2018
Oh , such a beautiful postcard ! :) Thanks :)

Journal Entry 21 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Wednesday, May 09, 2018
Thank you, Poodlesister, Maria Sybilla Merian has come to celebrate my birthday with me! :)

Journal Entry 22 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Friday, May 25, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (5/25/2018 UTC) at Madrid, Madrid Spain

Sent today as an extra gift to the winner of the Classics Sweepstakes... :)

Journal Entry 23 by Nataliec7 at Penarth, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, May 27, 2018
Thank very much,!

Journal Entry 24 by Olivia_Lo at Hualien, Hualien Taiwan on Saturday, June 02, 2018
I've got Maria Sybilla Merian. And what a delightful surprise! I knew her from the Maria Merian's Butterflies Exhibition at the Queen's Gallery, Buckingham Palace, in 2016. I just loved her illustrations!!! They are all very exquisite and detailed. Thank you very much for the card Bookworm-lady. I'm going to keep it with me for a while since it reminds me of the wonderful trip to the UK :)

The picture shown is one of the paintings by Maria Sybilla Merian from the exhibition that I took a photo of.

Journal Entry 25 by wingSparkishwing at Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, June 15, 2018
Thank you so much for sending the fantastic postcard featuring Barbara McClintock, the lovely letter and book crossing labels. A glorious surprise to cheer me up in what has been a pretty miserable couple of months xx

Journal Entry 26 by wingbrunton11wing at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Saturday, June 16, 2018
Cecilia Payne-Gaposchkin astronomer and astrophysicist checking in! Thanks Poodlesister.

Journal Entry 27 by wingBookgirrlwing at Acton, Ontario Canada on Monday, June 25, 2018
I am very pleased about this Marjorie Stoneman Douglas postcard - it is so karmic! One of the lines on it says, "Founded Friends of the Everglades" and "Her Work Helped to Establish Everglades National Park". Poodlesister..... did you know, we were in the Everglades (visited Everglade City in FL) just a month ago? It was a fascinating place, if somewhat overshadowed (at least tourism-wise) by places like Disneyworld (not my cup of tea), Naples, Miami, Orlando, etc. I love the design/drawing on this postcard also. 'Love the style. Thanks!

Journal Entry 28 by wingjeniwrenwing at Greigs Flat, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, July 03, 2018
Thankyou Poodlesister for the wishlist tag book and postcard featuring Sylvia Earle who is a marine biologist, explorer and aquanaut. A lovely treat and I am wondering if I continue to pass this on to another bookcrosser?

Journal Entry 29 by bookfrogster at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 10, 2018
I now have Lilian Gilbeth via Sakirmo as part of the "You've got mail sweeps". Thank you!

AND I also have Hypatia which I received from Poodlesister ages ago and kept forgetting to bring to the internet cafe to journal until prompted by Lilian Gilbeth!

I really like them both and plan to continue them both on their journeys. :-)

Journal Entry 30 by wingmissmarkeywing at Harwell, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 08, 2018
I got Elizabeth Blackwell, first woman in USA to receive a medical degree. I didn't know this so you learn something new every day. Thank you.

Journal Entry 31 by GLAROS at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Saturday, September 15, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (9/17/2018 UTC) at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece

Gift for Delphi_Reader ♥♥♥

Journal Entry 32 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Friday, September 21, 2018
Ευχαριστώ GLAROS για την όμορφη κάρτα και τα άλλα καλούδια, έχω επισκεφτεί το μουσείο της Μαρί Κιουρί στην Βαρσοβία, που στεγάζεται στο σπίτι όπου γεννήθηκε και το βρήκα πολύ ενδιαφέρον. Το οίκημα καταστράφηκε στον 2o Παγκόσμιο αλλά ξανακατασκευάστηκε αργότερα από την αρχή. Πραγματικά, τι ενδιαφέρουσα προσωπικότητα!

GLAROS sent me this beautiful card honoring Marie Curie, thank you GLAROS and Poodlesister!
I've actually visit Muzeum Marii Skłodowskiej-Curie in Warsaw, the (recontructed after been destroyed on WW2) house where she was born and found it very interesting. What a remarkable woman!

Journal Entry 33 by wingkiwiinenglandwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, October 22, 2018
I introduce to you *Katia Krafft* a geologist and volcanologist. First time I have heard of her and she sounds fascinating.

I got this postcard with my samhain parcel. It´s Joan Beauchamp Procter, Zoologist

Journal Entry 35 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Friday, November 02, 2018
This arrived as a lovely surprise with a book as part of a Wishlist Tag thread. Many thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 36 by Arvores at Porto Santo (ilha), Madeira Portugal on Monday, December 17, 2018
Barbara McClintock is with me now :-)
She will find a new host soon.
Thank you!

Journal Entry 37 by Olivia_Lo at Hualien, Hualien Taiwan on Saturday, February 02, 2019
I'm going to release it along with Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time.

Anyone knows how to make a release note like GLAROS did, when you are not the last person who make a journal, so the system assumes you can't be releasing it?

Journal Entry 38 by wingSparkishwing at Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Thursday, April 04, 2019
Thank you for the postcard of Gerty Cori. I think I will find out a bit more about her and use the postcard as a bookmark for a while before letting it travel further, love the design :-)

Journal Entry 39 by pumpkinpussycat at St. Mary's, Ontario Canada on Thursday, April 18, 2019
Thank you for this card.

Journal Entry 40 by Viviennemarch at Pulaski, Virginia USA on Thursday, June 13, 2019
I received this as part of 2019 Oppem's NSRBCAK Birthday Group Gift. Thank you for the postcard. I enjoyed reading about Elizabeth Blackburn. The card led me to read Alice Park's May 3, 2007 article for Time's on Blackburn re: Scientists & Thinkers. I also read additional info about her research. Thankful for Blackburn's contributions to research.

Journal Entry 41 by wingdutch-bookwing at Heerenveen, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Saturday, June 22, 2019
Hey! I just opened a book (A brief history of time) and then noticed the BCID on the postcard didn't match the one in the book. So decided to put it in the system.
I loved the postcard, that's why I still have it.
I got Maria Sibylla Merian. She was born in Frankfurt am Main (Germany) and died in Amsterdam (the Netherlands) in the 18th century. She was a scientific illustrator and entomologist.

Just yesterday I read a little bit in Stephen Hawking's book (the acknowledgments) and I noticed something:
"Many people have helped me in writing this book. My scientific colleagues have without exception been inspiring. Over the years my principal associates and collaborators were Roger Penrose, Robert Geroch, Brandon Carter, George Ellis, Gary Gibbons, Don Page, and Jim Hartle. I owe a lot to them, and to my research students, who have always given me help when needed.

One of my students, Brian Whitt, gave me a lot of help writing the first edition of this book. My editor at Bantam Books, Peter Guzzardi, made innumerable comments which improved the book considerably. In addition, for this edition, I would like to thank Andrew Dunn, who helped me revise the text.

I could not have written this book without my communication system. The software, called Equalizer, was donated by Walt Waltosz of Words Plus Inc., in Lancaster, California. My speech synthesizer was donated by Speech Plus, of Sunnyvale, California. The synthesizer and laptop computer were mounted on my wheelchair by David Mason, of Cambridge Adaptive Communication Ltd. With this system I can communicate better now than before I lost my voice.

I have had a number of secretaries and assistants over the years in which I wrote and revised this book. On the secretarial side, I’m very grateful to Judy Fella, Ann Ralph, Laura Gentry, Cheryl Billington, and Sue Masey. My assistants have been Colin Williams, David Thomas, and Raymond Laflamme, Nick Phillips, Andrew Dunn, Stuart Jamieson, Jonathan Brenchley, Tim Hunt, Simon Gill, Jon Rogers, and Tom Kendall. They, my nurses, colleagues, friends, and family have enabled me to live a very full life and to pursue my research despite my disability.

Notice how the only women named here were ALL secretaries? Something to think about.

Journal Entry 42 by wingtigergirlnzwing at Napier, Hawkes Bay-Poverty Bay New Zealand on Wednesday, September 25, 2019
I got Esther Lederberg (1922-2006), Microbiologist
*Helped us better understand Bacteria and Viruses
*Discovered Lambda Phage Virus
*Pioneer of Bacterial Genetics
*Invented Replica Plating to Study Mutations
Quote: "You can begin anytime, even though it takes a lifetime to be good."

Journal Entry 43 by NubiaLion at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, October 25, 2019
Thank you for this cool postcard! *( ^_^ )*

Journal Entry 44 by wingsoffitta1wing at Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Friday, November 01, 2019
Thank you for the lovely card, I feel privileged to be part of this venture.
My card is Gertrude Elion - a pharmacologist and biochemist.
"Don't let others discourage you or tell you that you can't do it. In my day I was told women didn't go into chemistry. I saw no reason why we couldn't."
Awesome words - as an educator I feel that part of my role is challenging stereotypes and encouraging my students to pursue their dreams. I will put this up in my flat to inspire me on darker days.

Journal Entry 45 by originalslicey at Kansas City, Missouri USA on Sunday, November 03, 2019
What a cool box of postcards! And what a neat idea to register them. I will have to keep an eye out for some of my own.

I received the Esther Lederberg postcard from TigergirlNZ as part of a “You’ve Got Mail “ RABCK Sweepstakes. Thanks!

“You can begin anytime even though it takes a lifetime to be good.” A good life lesson reminder from this microbiologist.

Journal Entry 46 by emmejo at Cortland, New York USA on Thursday, November 14, 2019
I was just gifted the lovely postcard of Jane Goodall! Thank you so much!

Journal Entry 47 by Ninas_BookNook at Yorktown, Virginia USA on Saturday, January 11, 2020
I received the Annie Easley (computer programmer, mathematician and rocket scientist) postcard as the winner of the 2019/Round 4 stationery sweeps. Very cool - especially since I just finished reading "Hidden Figures" which featured other prominent black women who worked as human "computers" and mathematicians at NASA, then NACA.

Journal Entry 48 by nefertari at Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Monday, July 27, 2020
Thank you for the wonderful postcard of Katherine Johnson, physicist and mathematician! I received it with a wishlist book, Everything Under, and some fantastic bookplates.

Journal Entry 49 by wingchrissiniwing at Graz, Steiermark Austria on Friday, July 31, 2020
Thank you for theoretical physicist Maria Goeppert-Mayer and the bookplates that accompanied "Trafficked" by Sophie Hayes that I received through the wings or wishlist sweeps June/July 2020. :))

Journal Entry 50 by wingkiwiinenglandwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Friday, August 28, 2020
HerthanArton...engineer.

Journal Entry 51 by Olivia_Lo at Hualien, Hualien Taiwan on Monday, August 31, 2020
I got Sau Lan Wu, a particle physicist. It's nice to learn about someone important in the scientific field whom I have never heard of before!

Journal Entry 52 by wingSparkishwing at Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 01, 2020
Just remembered I hadn't journaled this...Sorry...I got Patricia Bath Ophthamologist and Inventor.

Journal Entry 53 by wingelis-fromSwedenwing at Stenstorp, Västergötland Sweden on Monday, September 14, 2020
I got the Ada Lovelace - mathematician and writer - postcard together with the package Poodlesister sent me as the winner of the stationary sweep. Thank you!

Journal Entry 54 by wingpippiswing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Monday, October 19, 2020
A postcard with just a bcid surely got my attention. kiwiinengland sent me Hertha Ayrton, who was an engineer, mathematician and inventor, and what the card doesn't mention, a suffragette! Thank you for guiding me to look into the life of an interesting historical woman no history book has ever taught me about!

Journal Entry 55 by lexbarbie at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Friday, October 30, 2020
Gerty Cori, biochemist.

Looooove this postcard! Was just sorting through some BC supplies and spotted this. I have a gallery wall of inspirational women so will be framing this and putting it up there :)

Journal Entry 56 by carelaisa at Québec, Québec Canada on Thursday, December 03, 2020
Got the one for Katia Krafft, Geologist and Volanologist.

Love it, as I have studied in Biology and adore science!

Journal Entry 57 by winglunaciawing at Grünerløkka bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Tuesday, February 02, 2021
Ada Lovelace was sent to me by elis-fromSweden before Yule. It came along in a package with a Yule present, some sweets, and a cute little book.

Such a beautiful postcard of such an important and great person!

Lovelace was an English mathematician and writer, and is known as the very first programmer!

Fun fact: A friend of mine's cat is named Ada, after this very programmer. (They also had a cat named Linus, after Linus Torvalds, but the cat sadly passed away a few years ago).

Journal Entry 58 by wingNakipawing at Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Monday, March 08, 2021
The Rita Levi-Montalcini postcard arrived today, Women's day, along with a coloring postcard of the American Poster for women's suffrage by B M Boyle, a letter and some lovely BC labels, that I was so much in need of. Thank you poodlesister, for the lovely pack, that serendipitously arrived on this day. :D

Journal Entry 59 by ukcanaus at Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Sunday, March 14, 2021
Thank you, Poodlesister, for the lovely postcard of Mae Jemison (astronaut, educator and doctor). I read more about her - what an accomplished person!

The quote on the postcard reads:

The first thing about empowerment is to understand that you have the right to be involved. The second one is that you have something important to contribute. And the third piece is that you have to take the risk to contribute it.

I'll frame it and put it on my desk - thanks again!