Birds Asleep (Corrie Herring Hooks Series)

by Alexander F. Skutch | Nonfiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 2/8/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, February 08, 2018
I got this ex-library hardcover at a local thrift shop, entranced by the detailed scratchboard artwork of illustrator N. John Schmitt. It's an examination of the sleeping habits of a variety of birds, with many entries based on the author's personal observations.

I admit that I was most interested in the bits about birds I see in my own area - the tiny chickadees and nuthatches and titmice and wrens, so small that I can't quite believe that they can flit about in sub-zero temperatures without freezing solid in a heartbeat, yet they do. The author describes their physiology and roosting habits - but also describes how many birds do experience heavy winter-kill, hidden away in their shelters...

There are sections on seabirds, tropical species, penguins in the Antarctic, large birds vs. small ones - lots of varied and intricate survival techniques by creatures with amazing behaviors. (And those illustrations are fabulous!)

[See also Winter World by Bernd Heinrich, which touches on birds' roosting-in-winter habits among other things.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Cracker Barrel in Londonderry, New Hampshire USA on Friday, February 09, 2018

Released 10 mos ago (2/9/2018 UTC) at Cracker Barrel in Londonderry, New Hampshire USA

I left this book on a rocking chair on the big porch in front of the Cracker Barrel; hope the finder enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Great Backyard Bird Count release challenge. See this year's GBBC here. ***