The Last Hero: A Discworld Fable

by Terry Pratchett | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
ISBN: 0575081961 Global Overview for this book
Registered by erinacea of Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on 2/2/2018
Journal Entry 1 by erinacea from Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Friday, February 02, 2018
I didn't actually plan on reading this book as I'm not too fond of the Rincewind books in general and don't care for Cohen, in particular. I hated Interesting Times, never finished The Last Continent and had severely disliked the only other "graphic novel" (which admittedly I only read in the non-graphical version), Eric.

Still, when Mark Reads Discworld reached The Last Hero (I'd sat out on the Science of Discworld books), I tuned in. And already the first section Mark read changed my mind. That, and the few pictures he held up to the cameras certainly helped. :)

The plot:
When Cohen and his "Silver Horde" of aged Barbarian heroes decide to blow up the gods, another group of ragtag heroes (consisting of Leonard of Quirm, Captain Carrot and Rincewind the Wizzard) set out to stop them.

I love, love, love the pictures. Not all of them are good, but most of them are awesome and would have been worth buying the book alone. The group shots of the Horde, the Librarian, the Kite's crew "photos", Leonard's "sketches" and numbered diagrams... OMG, they're all gorgeous.

But at the same time this is more than just a picture book. While the plot intricacies cannot compare to the more complex DW titles, it's nonetheless an intriguing story featuring several beloved characters. And Rincewind. *eyeroll*

My favourite aspect was the question what being a hero means, traditionally and now. It's actually never clarified who the titular "Last Hero" is. I mean presumably it's referencing Cohen, but spoilers, highlight to make visible when the Barbarian Horde is confronted with Watch captain Carrot and unwilling hero Rincewind, it's sort of implied that there will always be heroes, even if they're different from the more classical Silver Horde type of Barbarian heroes. Even the (unnamed) bard grows to be a legend of his own.

Next up: The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents