In Our Strange Gardens

by Michel Quint | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingover-the-moonwing of Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on 2/2/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingover-the-moonwing from Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Friday, February 02, 2018
Bilingual edition (translated from French by Barbara Bray). The French title is Effroyables jardins, taken from a poem by Guillaume Apollinaire.

Journal Entry 2 by wingover-the-moonwing at Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Saturday, February 10, 2018
I read the English translation first, as it is the first in the book, then the French. The translation is competent, but does not have the rich, elegant vocabulary of the original, nor does it attempt to convey in an adequate way the northern way of pronunciation that is sometimes used in Gaston's narrative. The French is highly superior in style and atmosphere. And I have to quibble at the word "strange" which does not at all convey the sense of "effroyable" - dreadful, horrifying, appalling, fearsome, terrible... I will have to go and see how the Apollinaire poem has been translated.

My eight stars are for the English version; the French merits 10.

Journal Entry 3 by wingover-the-moonwing at Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Saturday, February 10, 2018
The story begins at the trial of Maurice Papon in Bordeaux, then flashes back to a scene of the narrator's childhood, after a family outing to the cinema when uncle Gaston tells the boy what happened to the boy's father and himself during WWII when they were young résistants. A further flashback to their arrest for blowing up a generator in Douai. The story seemed familiar to me, especially the part in the chalk pit; perhaps it was made into a film. Off to check...

Oh well, yes, it was a film and I have seen it:

and guess what, in English it was called Strange Gardens.

Journal Entry 4 by wingover-the-moonwing at Restaurant Vapiano in Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Sunday, March 04, 2018

Released 9 mos ago (3/6/2018 UTC) at Restaurant Vapiano in Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland

Francophones, pas de souci - c'est une édition bilingue. Et la partie en français est bien meilleure que la traduction anglaise. Il s'agit d'Effroyables jardins, que vous avez peut-être vu mais pas lu, film avec Thierry Lhermitte, André Dussolier, Benoît Magimel et Jacques Villeret sans oublier Suzanne Flon.

For the Tuesday meetup at Vapiano.

Journal Entry 5 by wingsouramwing at Genève, Genève Switzerland on Tuesday, March 06, 2018
Lu en français. Je prévois de le libérer sous peu.

Journal Entry 6 by wingsouramwing at Rue Gourgas in Genève, Genève Switzerland on Thursday, March 08, 2018

Released 9 mos ago (3/8/2018 UTC) at Rue Gourgas in Genève, Genève Switzerland

Il ne t'est jamais donné de rêve sans le pouvoir de le réaliser. (Richard Bach)

Eh bien, vous avez découvert quelque chose...
Un livre abandonné exprès !
N'ayez pas d'hésitation: donnez votre avis, ou racontez votre découverte, cela nous plaît de savoir ce que deviennent les livres "libérés" ainsi.