The Bird Artist: A Novel

by Howard Norman | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingSqueakyChuwing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 1/31/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Wednesday, January 31, 2018
I selected this book at the recently re-opened The Book Thing of Baltimore. Thank you!

After selecting about 100 books, I went for lunch with my two friends to the nearby Papermoon Diner, a Baltimore icon. What fun!

Journal Entry 2 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Wednesday, January 31, 2018
I read another copy of this book previously. This is what I wrote about it after I read it...
This is the story of Fabian Vas, a teenage boy in a very small town in Newfoundland, Canada, over 100 years ago. Although he has been sleeping regularly with Margaret, a girl four years older than he, his mother has secretly been planning for her son to wed his own fourth cousin whom her son has never met. The boy sees that his mother has taken to shacking up with the lighthouse keeper, Bothos August, while his dad was away for two months on work trip. This leads the boy to murder the lighthouse keeper (which we know as the book opens. No spoilers here).

The pace of this book is halting, and the story hugely interesting. There is an undercurrent of subtle, dry humor very much covered over by the harsh realities of life. Fabian is a bird artist. His lovely pictures of birds are purchased by magazines, while in his own life, family and friends shoot and eat birds (and are not reticent to let Fabian know this).

Names of so many people abound in this story. They are also odd. Fabian's dad is Orkney Vas; his mom is Alaric Banville. The lighthouse keeper is Botho August. We hear lots of names in this book but are not intended to remember most of them. The book also talks about the Beothuk, who were an indigenous people to Newfoundland. Perhaps the names in this book are of Beothuk origin (as are the songs that some of the characters sing or hum).

This is a captivating story. It is also a look at one of the more unusual mother-son relationships that I've encountered in a novel. I'd say to give this book a read! It is quite different from the run-of-the mill stories of small town life that I've read in the past. It's really a great book!

Journal Entry 3 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, February 18, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (2/18/2018 UTC) at Alexandria, Virginia USA

I spotted this book on Firegirl's wishlist (as of 04/05/12). I'm bringing it to her at our BCinDC meetup tomorrow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello and welcome to BookCrossing ... where we make the whole world a library!

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 4 by Firegirl at Annandale, Virginia USA on Monday, February 19, 2018
Picked up at today's BC-in-DC meetup. Thank you for for for the wishlist book!

Journal Entry 5 by Firegirl at Annandale, Virginia USA on Thursday, December 13, 2018
I didn't love this book. I actually chose it for my book club and, ironically, I think I am the one who liked it the least. Not much happens, really, which is normally fine by me. I like slow books about characters and interactions and people, which this book is. I think my problems was that I didn't like a single character in the book. I didn't care what happened to any of them, which made getting through the book as a whole pretty difficult.

Journal Entry 6 by Firegirl at Annandale, Virginia USA on Thursday, December 13, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (12/16/2018 UTC) at Annandale, Virginia USA

Taking to release at the book buffet at the annual BC-in-DC Holiday party.

Journal Entry 7 by wingSqnutZipswing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Thursday, December 20, 2018
I chose this book from the book buffet at the BCinDC annual holiday party. The title sounded interesting and "SqueakyChu" gave it the thumbs up.

Journal Entry 8 by wingSqnutZipswing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Sunday, February 17, 2019
This book is being released for the
2019 Great Backyard Bird Count (GBBC) wild-release challenge

Journal Entry 9 by wingSqnutZipswing at Old Town in Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, February 17, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (2/17/2019 UTC) at Old Town in Alexandria, Virginia USA

To the person who finds this book.....
Keep it or release it, read it or not, but please make a journal entry to let me know it's been found. Keep it, pass it on to a friend or release it into the wild.... let the journey continue.....

If you are new to BookCrossing, welcome! You can remain anonymous or join BookCrossing, it's free and loads of fun.

Journal Entry 10 by wingmelydiawing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, February 17, 2019
Picked up at today's BCinDC meetup in Alexandria, VA.