Buffalo Bird Woman's Garden: Agriculture of the Hidatsa Indians (Borealis)

by Gilbert L. Wilson | Nonfiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 1/30/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, January 30, 2018
I found this softcover at a local Savers thrift shop. It was first published in 1917, and features interviews and memoirs from Buffalo Bird Woman of the Hidatsa tribe, as she describes the tasks of gardening and harvesting in what is now North Dakota. There are illustrations, some photographs, and a new introduction, and all in all it's a fascinating and detailed look at the agricultural practices of this particular tribe. Buffalo Bird Woman's words are sometimes quite amusing, and she includes local customs and stories among the gardening advice. I was pleased to find some familiar tidbits here and there - the regular harvesting of the non-fruiting squash blossoms, for one thing; gardeners have a lot in common even across spans of time!

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, March 12, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (3/12/2018 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this to the Indigenous Peoples bookbox. Hope someone enjoys it!

*** Released for the 2018 Oh the Places We Can Go release challenge. ***

*** Released for the 2018 Wine+Food Release Challenge. ***

Journal Entry 3 by AlterEgoZoe at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, June 23, 2018
Came home in the indigenous peoples bookbox. Looks like an interesting read.