Island of the Sequined Love Nun

by Christopher Moore | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 1/30/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, January 30, 2018
I found this softcover at a local Savers thrift shop, and nabbed it for another release copy.

Moore has a knack for mixing hilarity with chilling horror; this book's a prime example. While it hasn't unseated Lamb as my very favorite Moore book, it's tied with Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove for second place. From the opening chapters, in which we meet hapless pilot and ladies' man Tucker - and follow him through one of the most cringe-inducing accounts of an accident I believe I've encountered in fiction! - to the arrival on the mysterious island of the title, to the (wildly improbable but quite satisfying) resolution, this is a very entertaining book.

There's a hilarious riff on Hamlet that features strongly in Tucker's past. [I began to suspect that Moore was going for something when I hit this passage: "Tuck had grown up in Elsinore, California, northeast of San Diego, the only son of the owner of the Denmark Silverware Corporation..."] There's a cargo cult. There's a ghost - who, when not meddling with the affairs of mortals, plays cards; check out the cameo appearances at the card table. There's a clueless hero who only wants to regain his pilot's license but finds himself confronting some exceedingly nasty evilness, aided by the aforementioned ghost, a talking fruit bat, and a cross-dressing navigator. And it's all told in Moore's quirky style, which hops from laugh-out-loud to oh-my-God in a moment... Strongly recommended!

[There's a short but amusing TV Tropes page for this book as well, but beware of spoilers.]

Released 11 mos ago (2/6/2018 UTC) at Daniel Webster Hwy (see text for details) in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I plan to leave this book in or near Not Your Average Joe's restaurant on DW Highway; hope the finder enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Valentine release challenge. ***

Journal Entry 3 by rmw328 at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, February 07, 2018
Caught this book outside NYAJ in Nashua tonight. Excited to read it and release it!