The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

by Annie Barrows, Mary Ann Shaffer | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 1/30/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, January 30, 2018
I found this softcover at a local Savers thrift shop, and nabbed it for another release copy.

It's an epistolary novel, a style I enjoy, set in the aftermath of WWII - and it introduced me not only to the tribulations of the Channel Island folk during the war (I hadn't known they were occupied by German forces) but to a set of truly charming and often quirky characters.

The premise involves a woman who is trying to find ideas for a new book, to break away from her previous image. She gets a letter from one of the Guernsey inhabitants asking about author Charles Lamb, after finding a used book with her name in it - a charming touch indeed, and kind of a proto-BookCrossing touch {wry grin}. The correspondence leads to her curiosity about the "literary club" - originally formed to conceal some rule-breaking from the occupying German forces - and from there to an actual visit, which results in significant changes to the lives of many of the characters.

The story includes sparkling banter between several people, most notably author Juliet and her publisher and long-time friend Sidney, though nearly everyone has some stellar moments. I enjoyed learning the back stories of the characters, though some of the wartime incidents were heart-wrenching, and I loved the way the various friendships grew and shifted.

Very funny, very charming, a really delightful book!

[There's a 2018 film adaptation.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, 4 Lake St in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, March 03, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (3/3/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, 4 Lake St in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Oh the Places We Can Go release challenge. ***