Different Class

by J. Harris | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingPlum-crazywing of Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 9/14/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingPlum-crazywing from Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 14, 2018
After thirty years at St Oswald’s Grammar in North Yorkshire, Latin master Roy Straitley has seen all kinds of boys come and go. Each class has its clowns, its rebels, its underdogs, its ‘Brodie’ boys who, whilst of course he doesn’t have favourites, hold a special place in an old teacher’s heart. But every so often there’s a boy who doesn’t fit the mould. A troublemaker. A boy with hidden shadows inside.

With insolvency and academic failure looming, a new broom has arrived at the venerable school, bringing Powerpoint, sharp suits and even sixth form girls to the dusty corridors. But while Straitley does his sardonic best to resist this march to the future, a shadow from his past is stirring. A boy who even twenty years on haunts his teacher’s dreams. A boy capable of bad things.

(ex-library book)

Journal Entry 2 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 06, 2019
Once again we're taken back to St Oswald's for another very twisty tale. Roy Straitley's days at the school would seem to be numbered. A new head seems hell bent on bringing St Oswald's - & its staff - into the 21st century & guess who isn't best impressed. Worst still, the new head is an ex-pupil & one who never found favour with Straitley.If that wasn't bad enough, it would seem the past is coming back to haunt the classrooms in other ways as well.

Straitley himself narrates current events & from his memories we discover some of the events of 20-odd years ago...but there's also a different source, another version of events told from the diary of an anonymous boy.

There's a couple of quotes on the cover:
"Magnificently plotted & twisty...darkly humorous" - isn't it just? I love Straitley's puns & slightly snarky asides (reminds me of another favourite of mine Mad "Max" Maxwell) &
"A masterpiece of misdirection" - no kidding!
I had one almighty "WHOA!!!" moment when I learnt/realised one particular thing - I can't be specific, spoilers you know ;o)
Whether I was deliberately...& if so very cleverly... misled or whether I missed something I should have cottoned onto I can't honestly say but either way it turned things upside down for me & left me reeling.

Well written, beautifully constructed & with credible characters I was gripped throughout. If you enjoy psychological style thrillers you'd do well to add this to your TBR.

Journal Entry 3 by wingPlum-crazywing at by Post, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Friday, September 06, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (9/6/2019 UTC) at by Post, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Ready to send onto daffodil-2

Journal Entry 4 by wingdaffodil-2wing at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Saturday, September 14, 2019
Received in the post today from Plum-Crazy along with 3 other books and a double cd.
Thanks a lot-I've read and enjoyed several other books by this author so am looking forward to this one.

Journal Entry 5 by wingdaffodil-2wing at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Thursday, November 14, 2019
REVIEW:-"I wasn't sure at first if I was going to like this book at all as it got off to quite a slow start but it soon picked up and I began to enjoy it. I found the "time-jumping" annoying to some extent, as I usually do, but soon settled into it and got to know the principal characters. The main theme is homosexuality within a boys school and when I stopped at around page 200 the plot was getting quite sinister and nasty so I decided not to bother to read it properly but skimmed to the end."
Reserved to offer to my "old" school-friends tomorrow when we have a catchup. If not picked up there I'll probably take it to a charity bookstall in my local Boots.

Journal Entry 6 by wingdaffodil-2wing at Roughton, Norfolk United Kingdom on Friday, November 15, 2019

Released 3 wks ago (11/15/2019 UTC) at Roughton, Norfolk United Kingdom

This book was given to Widget-1 when we met for an old girls school reunion today.

To the finder:-

to place on their shelves and discard the rest-so another bad release option.

Journal Entry 7 by Widget-1 at Thorpe Market, Norfolk United Kingdom on Friday, November 15, 2019
I was given this book by a bookcrossing friend daffidil-2 as a controlled release when we met up for coffee with ex-school pals today at Grovelands Farm Shop cafe. I intend to read and release it back into the wild.