corner corner Rebecca

Rebecca
by Daphne du Maurier | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 1/26/2018

status (set by GoryDetails): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, January 26, 2018

I got this paperback at a local thrift shop, for another release copy.

I first read Rebecca when I was in early high school; Mom had been urging me to try it, but [teen-like] I'd paid little heed, but one evening there I was browsing for books and there it was [a nicely bound copy - there was a book club that released rather handsome leather-look editions of classics but I can't remember which], so I dived in. [At this point in my life I hadn't seen the 1940 film, and basically knew nothing about the story.]

Well. I was interested to find that despite the title, the narrator was NOT Rebecca - and the gothic-romance setup of humble-but-goodhearted-girl and handsome-rich-man-with-troubled-past appealed to me at once. I was thoroughly enjoying the whole thing for the troubled-romance aspects - and then came the first hints of trouble, scandal, something Not Quite Right about Rebecca. Hmmm. And then (it was getting late and I was only 2/3rds of the way through and considering pausing for the night) - then they found the boat. [This is why I like reading books without knowing much about them; I was completely thunderstruck.] Riveted, I stayed up to finish the book in one sitting... and that was how I first read Rebecca.

I've reread it a time or two since then, but not for some years. Reading it now, the suspense isn't as immediate (of course), but the layers of emotion and repression seem deeper and more apparent - this isn't a simple swept-off-her-feet romance, but a couple of badly wounded people trying to make the best of things (and botching it up periodically by trying to second-guess each other's needs and wishes). Maybe it was more fun reading it when I didn't know squat about relationships, but it has its rewards now, too...

[There's a TV Tropes page that deals with the novel and some of the adaptations.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Meadow Glen Mall in Medford, Massachusetts USA on Friday, January 26, 2018

Released 3 wks ago (1/27/2018 UTC) at Meadow Glen Mall in Medford, Massachusetts USA

I plan to leave this book on a bench or window ledge at the mall near Wegman's; hope the finder enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Movie release challenge. ***