The Muse

by Jessie Burton | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingNu-Kneeswing of Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 1/24/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingNu-Kneeswing from Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 24, 2018
This is one of four books I bought from the Martin House Children's Hospice charity shop in Harrogate this morning. I chose it because I remember being impressed with The Miniaturis by this author a couple of years ago and thought I'd try something else she's written.

From Google Overview: "A picture hides a thousand words... On a hot July day in 1967, Odelle Bastien climbs the stone steps of the Skelton gallery in London, knowing that her life is about to change forever. Having struggled to find her place in the city since she arrived from Trinidad five years ago, she has been offered a job as a typist under the tutelage of the glamorous and enigmatic Marjorie Quick. But though Quick takes Odelle into her confidence, and unlocks a potential she didn't know she had, she remains a mystery - no more so than when a lost masterpiece with a secret history is delivered to the gallery. The truth about the painting lies in 1936 and a large house in rural Spain, where Olive Schloss, the daughter of a renowned art dealer, is harbouring ambitions of her own. Into this fragile paradise come an artist and revolutionary, Isaac Robles, and his half-sister Teresa, who immediately insinuate themselves into the Schloss family, with explosive and devastating consequences... Seductive, exhilarating and suspenseful, The Muse is an addictive novel about aspiration and identity, love and obsession, authenticity and deception - a magnificent creation and a story you will never forget."

Journal Entry 2 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 14, 2018
Alternating between London in 1967 and Spain in 1936 at the outbreak of the Spanish Civil War, this is a wonderful tale, superbly told. A complicated mystery that slowly unravels, many of the revelations well-signposted and guessable, but gripping nonetheless. I didn't want to put it down.
Recommended! And reserved for tree-hugger, despite her insisting that she doesn't need any additions to her To Be Read collection!

Journal Entry 3 by wingNu-Kneeswing at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, August 20, 2018

Released 9 mos ago (8/20/2018 UTC) at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

To tree-hugger who really appreciated The Miniaturist. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by tree-hugger at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, October 07, 2018
I really enjoyed this, thanks Nu-Knees. I Iike the dual timeframe structure, I think it works really well as a device for uncovering the secrets buried in a family's past & the ramifications thereof. I'd strongly recommend this. I'll probably drop it off at Brigantes for the bookcrossers.

Released 3 wks ago (4/23/2019 UTC) at Brigantes Bar & Brasserie OBCZ / Meetup Venue in York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Oooh, I did enjoy this! I'd not read The Miniaturist (although I did watch the TV series over Christmas) so this was my first encounter with Burton. She's very good - I found this very gripping. The action skips between 1960s London and 1930s Spain - Burton leaves you hanging at the end of each section, and I couldn't put this down!

The characters were strong - I did work out who was who before the end of the book, but I enjoyed every page.

To be released at the April York Bookcrossing meetup.

Journal Entry 6 by henrice at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 23, 2019
Came recommended by one bookcrosser looks good beach read