corner corner Circling the Sun

Circling the Sun
by Paula McLain | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingNu-Kneeswing of Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 1/24/2018

status (set by Nu-Knees): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingNu-Kneeswing from Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 24, 2018

I bought this from the Save the Children Fund charity shop in Harrogate this morning because I remember being impressed with The Paris Wife by this author a few years ago. Looks good!

Amazon Editorial Review: "Paula McLain, author of the phenomenal New York Times bestseller The Paris Wife, takes readers to Kenya in the 1920s, where the beautiful young horse trainer, adventurer and aviator Beryl Markham tells the story of her life among the glamorous and decadent circle of British expats living in colonial East Africa--and the complicated love triangle she shared with the white hunter Denys Finch Hatton and Karen Blixen, author of Out of Africa.
Brought to Kenya as a small child and then abandoned by her mother, Beryl is raised both by her father--a racehorse trainer--and the native Kipsigis tribe on her father's land. Her unconventional upbringing transforms her into a daring young woman, with a love of all things wild, but everything she knows and trusts dissolves when her father's farm goes bankrupt. Reeling from the scandal and heartbreak, Beryl is catapulted into a disastrous marriage at the age of 16. Finally she makes the courageous decision to break free, forging her own path as a horse trainer and shocking high society in the process. The British colony has never seen a woman as determined and fiery as Beryl. Before long, she catches the eye of the fascinating and bohemian Happy Valley set, including writer Karen Blixen and her lover Denys Finch Hatton, who will later be immortalized in Blixen's memoir, Out of Africa. The three become embroiled in a complex triangle that changes the course of Beryl's life, setting tragedy in motion while awakening her to her truest self and her fate: to fly."

Journal Entry 2 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, February 09, 2018

Good, very good, once I'd got into it I didn't want to put it down.
A tale of danger and adventure, love and dedication, and so much besides.
I've requested Out of Africa from the library to return to the same time and place from another viewpoint, although I understand that it makes no reference to our current heroine, and hope to source Mrs Markham's own memoir, West with the Night, at some point.
Well written and memorable. Recommended.

Journal Entry 3 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 22, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (2/22/2018 UTC) at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

To my friend and neighbour Blower! Enjoy :-)

Well over a million people around the world give their books a unique BookCrossing IDentity number (BCID) before sending them out to find new readers. Since the start of the scheme in April 2001 over twelve million such books have been put into circulation. This is one of them!

Our hope is that we can track the progress of our books once they've left our hands - and that's possible if finders like you visit the website, key in the BCID and leave a comment, however long or short. It's fun, it doesn't have to cost anything, although the site always appreciates donations towards running costs, and you can remain anonymous if you wish. You don't have to join but if you do you'll be able to number and track your own books!