corner corner The Alienist

The Alienist
by Caleb Carr | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 1/23/2018

status (set by GoryDetails): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, January 23, 2018

I got this handsome hardcover from the ongoing book-sale at the Whipple Free Library in New Boston, NH, and was glad of another release copy - especially as the mini-series adaptation is airing now!

I read this shortly after it was first published, and thought it decent but not as involving as I'd hoped. The period details are interesting, and the look at criminal investigation and forensics as of that era is, I think, well done, but overall I didn't find the characters that memorable. [And when one of the characters is Theodore Roosevelt, that says something. ;-)]

There's a TV Tropes page on the novel, with some entertaining tidbits.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Town Common in Burlington, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, January 25, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (1/25/2018 UTC) at Town Common in Burlington, Massachusetts USA

I left this book, bagged against the elements, propped up on the railing of the gazebo on the town common on this chilly afternoon. Hope the finder enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2018 TV Series release challenge. ***