Alone in Berlin

Registered by wingFemke85wing on 1/20/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingFemke85wing on Saturday, January 20, 2018
Got it at a book swap

——————

Started reading this book with no expectations and no prior knowledge on who the author is. So, wow. What a book! The author wrote it in 24 days, which I find truly amazing considering the amount of detail that he put in creating the characters. The plot itself is based on a true story and in this edition of the book you get to see some of the original transcripts from the Gestapo files that were the inspiration of some of the characters. The author also spent some time in the mental health “clinics” and concentration camps during the war, so unfortunately the nauseating details about every day practise in these places is probably very close to reality :( Despite his own tragic history, the author manages to write with a slight dark sense of humor that becomes apparent in some of the dialogues.

In short, the book mainly focusses on the lives of two regular working class people during World War II, who decide to start their own form of resistance against the Nazis by writing and distributing postcards with anti-Hitler propaganda. Throughout the chapters, you also get a glimpse of the lives of other people that are somewhat connected to the couple. It’s hard to go into details without revealing the plot (Personally, I really wanted to know what was going to happen to Otto and it feels like every event could be considered a spoiler).

Journal Entry 2 by wingFemke85wing at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on Friday, August 24, 2018

Released 9 mos ago (8/24/2018 UTC) at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden

bookring.

I try to reduce our (plastic) waste so I recycled one of my 2.5 year old’s drawings for the packaging.

Journal Entry 3 by millycat at Northampton, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 12, 2018
This was in the Town & Country book ring, but I have already read it, so I'm passing it on in the ring.

Journal Entry 4 by Winterbirth at Newtownabbey, Co. Antrim United Kingdom on Monday, September 24, 2018
Taken from the ‘Town and Country’ .

Journal Entry 5 by Winterbirth at Burnsville, Mississippi USA on Monday, January 14, 2019

Released 4 mos ago (1/14/2019 UTC) at Burnsville, Mississippi USA