Year Zero: A Novel

by Rob Reid | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by reveredchicken of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 1/14/2018
Journal Entry 1 by reveredchicken from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, January 14, 2018
Low-level entertainment lawyer Nick Carter thinks it's a prank, not an alien encounter, when a redheaded mullah and a curvaceous nun show up at his office. But Frampton and Carly are highly advanced (if bumbling) extraterrestrials. The entire cosmos, they tell him, has been hopelessly hooked on American pop songs ever since "Year Zero" (1977 to us), resulting in the biggest copy-right violation since the Big Bang, and bankrupting the whole universe. Nick has just been tapped to clean up this mess before things get ugly. Thankfully, this unlikely galaxy-hopping hero does know a thing or two about copyright law. Now, with Carly and Frampton as his guides, Nick has forty-eight hours to save humanity - while hoping to wow the hot girl who lives down the hall from him.

I loved this book! Laugh out loud funny and quirky in all the right ways.

Journal Entry 2 by reveredchicken at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, January 14, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (1/14/2018 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Releasing this book at the annual book crossing Christmas party, wrapped book exchange.

Journal Entry 3 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, January 15, 2018
Picked up this book at the Calgary BookCrossing Christmas wrapped book exchange. The first sentence ("Aliens suck at music.") was what drew my attention.

Journal Entry 4 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, January 31, 2018
After reading this book, you come the realization that the music industry is one messed up place when it comes to music rights and music pirating. I'm sure Rob Reid didn't have to make up anything. The other stuff with the various aliens and the plot to destroy Earth was fun. There were bits where it was exposition heavy, since Nick doesn't know a thing about how life is outside of the Earth. I also found the footnotes to be distracting. Like, why have them? Either the information is important enough to include in the narrative or it's not. I did read the ebook version, which doesn't lay out the footnotes very well, so maybe that's why I had a hard time with them. But the book is good for a laugh regardless.

Journal Entry 5 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 10, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (2/10/2018 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Passing on this book to the next reader at the Calgary BookCrossing February meet-up.

Journal Entry 6 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 17, 2018
Picked up at the Feb. meeting

Journal Entry 7 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 10, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (3/10/2018 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to the March meeting!

To the finder:

Journal Entry 8 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, March 11, 2018
I picked this up at the March meeting.

Journal Entry 9 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, May 30, 2018
This was funny, weird, bizarre - how did the writer come up with the concept of intergalactic music rites. Enjoyable read.

Journal Entry 10 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, July 13, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (7/14/2018 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am taking this to the July meetup at Cravings!

Journal Entry 11 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, July 15, 2018
Picked up at get together!

Journal Entry 12 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 13, 2019
Enjoyed this book So Much. I started it at just the right time, in just the right mood - completely quirky and ridiculous, I loved this fluffy, feel good, save the world story. It made me giggle.

The reality tv aspect was a lil bit much for me. But I love how valuable they find music, and how True Fans the aliens are. I also love some of the twists the alien points of view put on some aspects of human life and history.

Thanks for the fun read!

Journal Entry 13 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 13, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (4/13/2019 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to get together

Journal Entry 14 by AnnaDevika at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 13, 2019
Came highly recommended at local meetup, looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 15 by AnnaDevika at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 23, 2020

Released 4 mos ago (5/23/2020 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Handoff to fellow book-crosser.

Journal Entry 16 by Mateya_Foster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 11, 2020
Caught from another member through a private hand off