Silver Stars (Front Lines)

by Michael Grant | Teens |
Registered by Minerva101 of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 1/13/2018
Journal Entry 1 by Minerva101 from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 13, 2018
I loved this even more than Front Lines!! This book is far more raw, gritty and mean. Michael Grant didn't gloss over racism, sexism or the more graphic aspects of war. I am completely invested in the stories of Rainy, Frangie, Rio, and Jenou and can't wait for the next book.
I strongly recommend this series for adults or teens - brilliantly done!

From Goodreads.com:
The summer of 1943, World War II. The Germans have been bloodied, but Germany is very far from beaten. The North African campaign was only the beginning of the long journey for Frangie, Rainy, Rio, and the millions of other Allies.

Now the American army is moving on to their next target: the Italian island of Sicily. Frangie, Rainy, and Rio now know firsthand what each of them is willing to do to save herself—and the consequences. With their heavy memories of combat, they will find this operation to be even tougher.

Frangie, Rainy, and Rio also know what is at stake. The women are not heroes for fighting alongside their brothers—they are soldiers. But the millions of brave females fighting for their country have become a symbol in the fight for equality. In this war, endless blood has been spilled and millions of lives have been lost, but there could be so much more to gain.

The women won’t conquer Italy alone. But they will brave terrible conditions in an endless siege; they will fight to find themselves on the front lines of World War II; and they will come face-to-face with the brutality of war until they win or die.

Journal Entry 2 by Minerva101 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 13, 2018

Released 10 mos ago (1/13/2018 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to the Bookcrossing meeting at Cravings to find a new reader.
Happy Reading :)

Journal Entry 3 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 13, 2018
Picked up at the January meeting!

Journal Entry 4 by megami-no-ushi at Cravings Market Restaurant in Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 10, 2018

Released 9 mos ago (2/10/2018 UTC) at Cravings Market Restaurant in Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to the February meeting!

I was so happy to have this one ready to go immediately after I finished the first one and blew through this one too. Frangie's story in this one really hit me hard, especially the scene with the Colonel. What great writing!

To the finder:

Journal Entry 5 by reveredchicken at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 10, 2018
Picked up this book at the monthly book crossing meeting at Cravings Market Restaurant

Journal Entry 6 by reveredchicken at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, October 13, 2018
Great second book of the series. I was really hoping to have the story resolved by the end of this book, but that was purely because I don't have the third one and I hate waiting. You get those bad ass woman back in this book, that you fell in love with in the first. This book took you from exciting to heartbreaking, and I can't wait to find out what happens in the third.

Journal Entry 7 by reveredchicken at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, October 13, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (10/13/2018 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking this book to the October Book Crossing Meeting at Cravings Market Restaurant.

Journal Entry 8 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, October 14, 2018
Picked up this book at the Calgary BookCrossing October meet-up. And book two for good measure because I'm sure I will love book one.

Journal Entry 9 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, November 10, 2018
Oh man, I plowed through this book. It was even better than the first one. Once you've introduced everyone, you can delve deeper into things. I still enjoyed Rio's storyline the best. She's becoming a good soldier, but it was never her intent to have this responsibility. I'm interested to see how it ends. Rio clearly makes it to the end of the war since the narrator mentions in book one that Rio is at the hospital. I'm also interested to find out who is the narrator, the one writing the book. There are hints is might be Jenou, but I feel like that's a red herring. Bring on book three!

Journal Entry 10 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, November 10, 2018

Released 6 days ago (11/10/2018 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Passing on this book to the next reader at the Calgary BookCrossing November meet-up.

Journal Entry 11 by claws-12 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, November 13, 2018
picked up at the Calgary November meeting