corner corner How to Shit in the Woods: An Environmentally Sound Approach to a Lost Art

How to Shit in the Woods: An Environmentally Sound Approach to a Lost Art
by Kathleen Meyer | Outdoors & Nature
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 1/10/2018

status (set by GoryDetails): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, January 10, 2018

I got this softcover from the charity-sale shelves in the Goffstown NH Hannaford's while dropping off books of my own. I enjoyed this one back when I first read it ages ago, and was glad of another release copy.

The book has a lot of practical advice, some history, and a good deal of humor, and if anything could convince someone to practice good camping/hiking toilet hygiene, this would be it {wry grin}. In one of many anecdotes about how NOT to do it, she describes someone who chose a spot uphill of the camp site, resulting in... "To the earth it finally fell, round and firm, this sturdy turd", right next to the foot of the woman making the coffee!

The section advising different filters for treating water will probably be very much out of date by the time this book goes traveling, so readers are advised to check the most recent sources on line. But the basic methods of choosing sites and of proper procedures (see the chapter for women on "how not to pee in your boots") are as valuable as ever.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at S. River Rd. (see notes for details) in Bedford, New Hampshire USA on Monday, January 22, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (1/22/2018 UTC) at S. River Rd. (see notes for details) in Bedford, New Hampshire USA

I left this book, bagged against the elements, on a signpost near the Moores Crossing Rd trailhead of the Bedford Heritage Trail (just off of S. River Rd) on this icy evening. (I keep meaning to walk these trails in better weather - eagles nest in the area!) Hope the finder enjoys the book!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Clean Start release challenge. ***