The Beach Hut

by Cassandra Parkin | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 1910266507 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 1/9/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, January 09, 2018
I got this good-condition UK-edition softcover from an online seller after seeing it on someone's wishlist. It's set in a small village on the Cornish coast, and follows two different timelines: that of siblings Finn and Ava, whose relationship with the sea stems from an early age, and that of pub owner Donald and his teenaged daughter Alicia.

When the now-grown Finn and Ava set up a tiny, snug - and illegal - beach hut on the coast, they attract Alicia's attention, but their fey, Bohemian lifestyle puts them at odds with her authoritarian father. This leads to a growing number of revelations about everyone, some of which I guessed at and others that came as quite a shock.

There's humor, too, especially regarding Donald's war with the beach hut - I laughed out loud at one little twist.

I adored the characters, especially Finn, though it was clear that his giddy nature could be hard to take for any length of time. As the storylines unravel we find out more about his past, and Ava's - and that of Alicia's father as well, plus the truth about Alicia's most closely-held secret. There are troubling aspects to all this, some of them brutal, yet there may be hope...

A third thread here: the fairy tales in Finn's book, which sometimes seem to be prescient, and are always revealing.

In some ways the book reminded me of Tana French's In the Woods; that one's a police procedural, but it blends in the different time-streams, the was-it-supernatural/what-really-happened notes, and something in the in-character tension. But The Beach Hut has its own charms, and I'm glad I read it.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Released 10 mos ago (1/16/2018 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm sending this to BCer J4shaw, as part of the US/Canada wishlist-tag game. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingJ4shawwing at Boise, Idaho USA on Saturday, January 27, 2018
Released as part of the ● US~Canada Wishlist Tag● ☆ 2017 . Thank you GoryDetails