corner corner If Ever I Return, Pretty Peggy-O

If Ever I Return, Pretty Peggy-O
by Sharyn McCrumb | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by kizmiaz of Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on 1/5/2018

status (set by Annimanni): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by kizmiaz from Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Friday, January 05, 2018

"Sheriff Spencer Arrowood keeps the peace in his small Tennessee town most of the time. Every once in a while, though, something goes wrong. When 1960s folksinger Peggy Muryan moves to town seeking solitude and a career comeback, and she receives a postcard with a threatening message, her idyll is shattered. Then a local girl who looks like Peggy vanishes without a trace. Although she was once famous, Peggy has no fondness for the old times. Those days are best left forgotten for Spencer Arrowood, too. But sometimes the past can't rest, and those who try to forget it are doomed to relive it..."

Journal Entry 2 by kizmiaz at Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Friday, January 05, 2018

This is the first book of the famous Ballad novels by this author.
It's a good whodunit, although there's little twists, and a well written story with a nice plot, but not as great as the Ballad Novels that followed this one and the reason for this, in my opinion, is that the author does not linger in the descriptions of the Appalachia, its people and its lore as she does in later novels.
There are some good characters, although the Peggy in the title is not one of them, namely Joe and Martha, Spencer is still in a development stage in this one.
The Vietnam vet angle is good but feels short, a bit underdeveloped but with a lot of potential.
This is a good read and a good introduction to the series, it goes uphill from here.

Journal Entry 3 by kizmiaz at Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Thursday, June 21, 2018

Released 3 wks ago (6/21/2018 UTC) at Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal

on its way to Finland

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, June 21, 2018

Well, that was fast ;) The book arrived today :D

I've never heard about Sharyn McCrumb or the Ballad series so I'm very intrigued to read this book that I chose from the First Sentences VBB. Thanks for sending it, kizmiaz!