Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body

Registered by marsala of - Ergens in de provincie, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on 12/30/2017
Journal Entry 1 by marsala from - Ergens in de provincie, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Saturday, December 30, 2017
Favourite roundabout 2017.

Journal Entry 2 by marsala at A BookCrosser, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, January 11, 2018

Released 4 yrs ago (1/5/2018 UTC) at A BookCrosser, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

My pick for the favourites of 2017 roundabout, travelling to Icila.

Journal Entry 3 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Saturday, January 13, 2018
A beautiful book. The mailman just gave it to me. The enveloppe was open though, a near miss. 😥

Journal Entry 4 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Wednesday, January 17, 2018
Very disturbing. It gives a lot of thinking about.
I certainly understand her attitude, her desire to hide under a protective layer.
But I'm in two minds though about how she reacts towards her family and friends, towards the doctors too. Those are people who honestly care and she turns down any help .
She is still very angry at the world but the world w'll not conform, alas !

Thank you for sharing this very powerful memoir.

Journal Entry 5 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Friday, January 19, 2018

Released 4 yrs ago (1/19/2018 UTC) at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France

On its way to weeder in USA.

Journal Entry 6 by weeder at Worthington, Ohio USA on Tuesday, February 13, 2018
"Hunger" by Roxane Gay, BC# 417-14854074, arrived safely today. I'll put it on top of my TBR list and read it after I finish the two books I'm working on right now. Thank you icila!

Journal Entry 7 by weeder at Worthington, Ohio USA on Monday, March 12, 2018

Released 4 yrs ago (3/13/2018 UTC) at Worthington, Ohio USA

Book is being mailed to Aramena in Oklahoma, US.

Journal Entry 8 by wingAramenawing at Moore, Oklahoma USA on Monday, March 19, 2018
Arrived today and I'm excited to see it as this book is on my wish list! I should be starting it in the next couple of days, as soon as I finish my current read.

Journal Entry 9 by wingAramenawing at Moore, Oklahoma USA on Sunday, April 1, 2018
A powerful and moving book, and a good example of how cruel people can be to others who don't fit their definition of perfect. I am so glad I read this. My mother believes that nobody has any excuse to be overweight other than laziness, that anyone can lose weight by exercising and watching what they eat. It sounds like a lot of people feel that way, and I hope that I am more compassionate than that.

Since this book is traveling around to several participants, I'm not saying much else in my JE, as I know some people like to go into a book without having read others thoughts first, but if you want to read all my thoughts, they are here.

I'll mail this off to JudySlump612 tomorrow.

Journal Entry 10 by JudySlump612 at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Saturday, April 7, 2018
Arrived here safely today. It looks very different from any of the other 'favourites,' and most intriguing. Thank you, marsala!

Journal Entry 11 by JudySlump612 at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Thursday, May 3, 2018
Explosive and stunning. I had to read it in small bits, and still it left me shaken. I will be candid and admit that I have a major weight problem, so the issues Gay addresses are very much part of my life. I agree strongly with Icila, that it gives a lot of thinking about, and with Aramena, that it's a good example of how cruel people can be. Gay's language is clear and lucid, and yet - if it's this hard for me to read, how much harder must it have been for her to write?

This is another great example of why the 'Favourite Book' roundabout is such a brilliant idea. I would probably never never have picked up this book, but I'm very glad that Fate dropped it into my hands. I've also started thinking harder about what I might choose for next year's roundabout. Because I read so much fiction, that's all I really considered, but I see now what an arbitrary limit that was. I'd like to find a book, of whatever genre, that can make other readers say "This book surprised me, and I'm glad I read it."

Journal Entry 12 by JudySlump612 at A BookCrosser, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, May 3, 2018

Released 4 yrs ago (5/3/2018 UTC) at A BookCrosser, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Mailed today to mathgirl40 for the Favourite Book of 2017 roundabout.

Journal Entry 13 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Friday, May 11, 2018
This book has arrived in Canada, and I am looking forward to reading it, having heard much praise for it.

Journal Entry 14 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Thursday, May 24, 2018
This is a powerful and thought-provoking book. I admire Roxane Gay's candour in revealing these very personal aspects of her life. My one small complaint is that there is a lot of repetition, but possibly that is a consequence of the fact that parts of the book had been published before and Gay or her editor did not want to alter those essays too much. Otherwise, I found this book a very worthwhile read, as it made me reflect upon and question my own views on the subjects the author discusses. After reading this book, I realize that I need to be less judgmental of other people's bodies and more tolerant of what I see as my own deficiencies.

Journal Entry 15 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Friday, May 25, 2018

Released 4 yrs ago (5/24/2018 UTC) at Waterloo, Ontario Canada

This book is on its way to earthcaroleanne.

Journal Entry 16 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, May 31, 2018
Arrived today (but I still have a backlog)

Journal Entry 17 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 24, 2018
This isn't for me. I found she repeated herself quite a lot. I've given up 30 pages from the end.

Journal Entry 18 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Мінск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Friday, July 27, 2018

Released 3 yrs ago (7/27/2018 UTC) at Мінск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus

Sending on in the favourites roundabout.

Journal Entry 19 by wingLamillawing at Мінск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Saturday, August 25, 2018
The book is with me. Thanks!

ETA: I've read about a half and sent further.

Journal Entry 20 by wingLamillawing at Мінск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Saturday, September 1, 2018

Released 3 yrs ago (9/1/2018 UTC) at Мінск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus

You've found a travelling book. Hurray!
The book's journey continues by its finder's cooperation and creativity. By making a journal entry on this book, you can add to the book's story as it travels from reader to reader around the world.
Enjoy your reading!

Привет!
Спасибо, что нашли время зайти на сайт и сделать запись в журнале! Напишите, когда и где вы нашли книгу.
Перед тем, как попасть к Вам, она побывала в других уголках света. История ее путешествий записана на сайте, и теперь к ней добавился еще один пункт. Я очень рада, что она нашла нового читателя в Вашем лице.

Journal Entry 21 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 11, 2018
Received - thank you :)

Journal Entry 22 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 15, 2018
I read about two thirds of this book and then stopped - but not because of the writing, which I thought was wonderful. Roxane has a wonderful way with words - the prose was immensely readable, poetic in places and the perfect tone for what she was trying to convey.

The reason I stopped was I found myself becoming very depressed. Don't get me wrong, I feel for the author and for what she went through. Her childhood trauma and subsequent issues are horrendous, and I hope that in writing this book she got some cathartic release or some semblance of insight or balance. But it's not something I particularly want to read about. I have my own issues and fight with my weight, and I suppose reading about someone who can't, or won't, come to terms with the problem (and I use this in a loose kind of way!), is not what I need to hear.

Definitely wouldn't put me off reading anything else by this author - far from it. And I may well return to this one day in the future to see where the story leads.

Released 3 yrs ago (10/19/2018 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Posted to the next participant of the Book Roundabout.

Journal Entry 24 by wingestelle1806wing at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Friday, November 2, 2018
TBR

Journal Entry 25 by wingestelle1806wing at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Wednesday, November 7, 2018
Obviously not the most joyous read, but was very quickly finished and it left a feeling of hope...
Will now travel to Fifna.

Journal Entry 26 by wingestelle1806wing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Released 3 yrs ago (11/7/2018 UTC) at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands

Please let us know when you release it again...

Journal Entry 27 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, November 11, 2018
Arrived safely, thanks estelle1806!

Journal Entry 28 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, December 28, 2018
I'm very much in two minds about the book. It's such a disturbing story, and she is a good writer, but at times it also felt very disjointed, but that may be down to the fact that parts had been published previously.
People can be so vile and cruel and it can have such an impact on a person's life. It makes for difficult reading, but I'm pleased to have had the chance to read her story. Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 29 by wingFifnawing at Breda, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Friday, December 28, 2018

Released 3 yrs ago (12/29/2018 UTC) at Breda, Noord-Brabant Netherlands

Taking it to the meetup in Breda to return it to marsala.

Journal Entry 30 by marsala at Breda, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Sunday, December 30, 2018
The book has now returned to me, exactly a year after I registered it for it's journey. Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts, I will put it back on my shelves now and hopefully reread it some day.