corner corner Planes, Trains & Elephants

Planes, Trains & Elephants
by Brian Thacker | Travel
Registered by wingsakirmowing of Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on 12/30/2017

status (set by ResQgeek): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingsakirmowing from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Saturday, December 30, 2017

"Whether you're an explorer or a tourist, the journey often proves to be more exciting than the place you arrive at..." <-- well that quote is certainly true! I'm getting more and more lazy as I grow older, but many of my most memorable travel moments are literally from the road.

The book is somewhat amusing, but also at times embarrassingly non-PC (yes we get it, the Americans in your helicopter have gigantic asses, you might want to stop repeating it at some point). It's an okay read, but the author seems like just another wannabe-Bill Bryson who tries so hard to be witty that it sort of turns against itself... Enough of those in travel literature business already! I'm going to give him another chance though, as one of his newer books sounds too good to pass ("Tell them to get lost")

(Helmet -lukuhaaste #38: kirjan kannessa on kulkuneuvo)

Journal Entry 2 by wingsakirmowing at Bookcrossing Convention Bordeaux 2018 in Bordeaux, Aquitaine France on Thursday, April 12, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (4/20/2018 UTC) at Bookcrossing Convention Bordeaux 2018 in Bordeaux, Aquitaine France

Bordeaux Convention release

Journal Entry 3 by wing6of8wing at Bordeaux, Aquitaine France on Friday, April 20, 2018

I accidentally picked this book up from the book buffet. It looked too interesting to pass up.

Journal Entry 4 by wing6of8wing at Bordeaux, Aquitaine France on Tuesday, May 29, 2018

I picked this book up at the International BookCrossing Convention in Bordeaux based on the title. I had intended to put it right back down after using it to make a conversational point, but it looked intriguing and I held on to it. One of the first chapters in the book includes a less than enthusiastic review of Royal Air Maroc and the Mohammed V airport in Casablanca. I read it aboard a Royal Air Maroc plane waiting to take off from the airport in question and laughed out loud because it was so accurate, even though 30 years had elapsed between the author's visit and mine. For that and his accurate review of Moroccan music, and a decent sense of humor, I am inclined to think well of this book. His language was a bit salty, he was way too eager to discuss naked female anatomy, and he made negative comments on overweight people he encountered, which did not endear him to me. So, a middle of the road review. The elephant chapter was hilarious, the taxi chapter was simply enjoyable, and the motorcycle chapter will make you question his sanity

Journal Entry 5 by wing6of8wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, etc, Virginia USA on Friday, June 15, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (6/17/2018 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, etc, Virginia USA

This book is going with me to meet-up and hopefully going home with someone else. I can think of one person who can almost always be counted on to snag a good travel book and he is planning on attending the meet-up. I think he would enjoy this book.

Journal Entry 6 by ResQgeek at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Monday, June 18, 2018

I picked this up at today's BC-in-DC meeting, to read (although it might take a while for it to come to the top of Mt. TBR).