We Are Charleston: Tragedy and Triumph at Mother Emanuel

by Herb Frazier, Dr. Bernard Edward Powers Jr., Marjory Wentworth | History | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingResQgeekwing of Alexandria, Virginia USA on 12/26/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingResQgeekwing from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Tuesday, December 26, 2017
A Christmas present from my daughter's boyfriend, who is going to school at the Citadel, in Charleston.

Journal Entry 2 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Thursday, February 13, 2020
On June 17, 2015, Dylann Roof shot and killed 9 members of the Emmanuel AME Church in Charleston, SC, and injured five others. It appears that he was a white supremacist and that he was hoping to provoke a race war with his actions. This shooting was just one of a series of incidents that were pulling back the veil that masked the deeply buried strains of racism in America, going back to the shooting of Trayvon Martin in Florida in 2012, and includin (among others) the shooting of Michael Brown in Furgeson, MO in 2014, and the death of Freddie Gray in Baltimore just weeks earlier. At the time, the response of Charleston, and South Carolina more broadly, seemed to suggest that we were turning a corner, facing the realities of racism, and that we might actually make progress towards healing these very old, very deep wounds in the fabric of our society.

Alas, it was not to be. The rhetoric of the current administration has acted as a dog whistle to those who harbor racist beliefs, emboldening them to act on their views. The death toll continues to climb, with no end in sight.

This book, which begins with a review of the shooting and a profile of victims, is also a careful analysis of the history of race relations in Charleston and the role that Emmanuel AME Church had in that history. It is a poignant reminder of just how much of this history is overlooked, swept under the rug, or just plain ignored by those who find it uncomfortable. But, as the authors point out, we will never truly heal the wounds of racism until we honestly confront this ugly history.

This book is actually a terrific memorial to those who died that evening in Charleston, preserving and promoting the values and beliefs that they embraced in life, and honoring their lives by placing their tragic deaths into the historical context of racism and hatred. While there are some places where it was a bit too "preachy" for my tastes, I still would recommend this book for anyone who wants to better understand the historical roots of racism, and how it continues to work in America today in ways both overt and subtle.

Journal Entry 3 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, February 16, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (2/16/2020 UTC) at Alexandria, Virginia USA

Releasing for the Black History Month challenge.

This book will be available at tomorrow's monthly BC-in-DC meeting in Old Town Alexandria.

======================

DEAR FINDER,

I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 4 by wing6of8wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, etc, Virginia USA on Monday, February 17, 2020
Darn you, ResQgeek! I have so many books that came from you and I have no time to read them, but you keep bringing stuff that interests me. This semester I am taking classes in both Trauma and Violence/Risk Assessment. I will likely read it. But I may offer it to a friend first -- at the time of this horrible event, she was dating a woman who belonged to the AME church and they were particularly impacted by it. I don't know if she will want to read it or want to not think about it as a result, but I will offer it.