Impossible Saints

by Clarissa Harwood | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingSpatialwing of Arlington, Virginia USA on 1/11/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingSpatialwing from Arlington, Virginia USA on Thursday, January 11, 2018
Received via a Goodreads Giveaway!

Journal Entry 2 by wingSpatialwing at Arlington, Virginia USA on Tuesday, January 16, 2018
Impossible SaintsImpossible Saints by Clarissa Harwood

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

***Received via a Goodreads Giveaway from the publisher***

"Why is it that men's courage is called bravery but women's courage is called recklessness- or, even worse, foolishness?"

Let's start with the cover: Stunning! My only nitpick would be the transition from the front (or back) cover to the spine. It's just too abrupt. It catches the eye right off the bat. It should have been much more subtle.

I enjoyed the book! Great characters! Wonderful subject matter with the two main characters; one headstrong and faithful to her suffragette convictions and the other just as determined in his faith and position as a clergyman. How could the two ever overcome their differences and stubbornness and realize their love for one another?!

Harwood's choice of quotes for each chapter reflected the chapters very well. I usually do read chapter quotes but don't really think about them much, but her choices were powerful and stood out for me!

Sweated women in the slums, who could not eat; foolish women in the prisons, who would not eat; and wise men in the House of Commons dining cheerfully. -Gertrude Colmore, Suffragette Sally

As wonderful as the story was, there were many parts that were predictable. For example, as soon as you meet Ellen, you know what her role in the story will be.

Then there were a series of events that felt related to me...but were not. I was expecting another layer to the story, and in this case of 'predictability', I was disappointed.

SPOILER ALERT--->This has to do with a quintuple of events. (In no particular order.)
1- A letter is sent to the bishop about Paul's involvement with a member of a violent suffrage group.
2- Paul witnesses a sketchy stranger meeting with his father.
3- Lilia meets a tall (smug) stranger at the (private) cemetery to honor fallen suffragettes. He keeps asking Lilia to dine with him over and over again.
4- Thomas's (Paul's nemesis and rival for deanship) father, whom he told everyone died, shows up out of the blue and asks Paul to help him reconcile with his son.
5- Thomas tells Paul that he was kidnapped, taken out of the city, beaten, and left for dead. And he believed Paul had something to do with it.

All 5 of these moments either drives a wedge between Lilia and Paul and/or furthers Paul's ambition to getting selected to replace the dean. To me, I thought it was Paul's father (Philip) who was orchestrating the whole thing! He's meeting with a shady dude and things start happening. Philip is a good guy you say. Well, yeah, he is. But it could have been either he knew Paul wanted the deanship so bad he would do anything to make it happen - get Thomas out of the way and send someone to seduce and ultimately scandalize Lilia - and so his businesses suffered and he lost money, or he was losing money already and made those things happen so that his son would have a set life as Dean and not have to worry about anything.

In the end, the first four were explained-ish (but not to my satisfaction). The beat-down of Thomas was never explained.

There were some things not explored.
1-Paul was distraught by his father's death but I didn't really see its effects other than to get angrier with his mother. What was the point of killing him off?
2- When Paul's father died, he found out he lost so much money that selling all the assets would not cover the debt. Sure Paul is upset a little, and confused that this happened, and angry at himself for not being there more for his father. But there is no stress on Paul of how am I going to pay this back and how can I marry Lilia and bring her down into poverty with me?

Everything was streamlined down to the suffrage movement and Lilia's involvement with it and their will they get together or not. Every other element of the story was pushed off to the side and left hanging or 'conveniently' explained. The author wrote Lilia’s story clearly and enjoyed it but Paul’s was only half formed; it’s there and has a strong base but the threads don’t tie together. What happened? Was the author rushed? Or just didn’t care about Paul’s half of the story? <---END SPOILER

Another point that bugged me was Bianca's personality. Throughout the story, she is portrayed by Paul and Lilia (who looks up to her) as clueless, vapid, and vain. The only part that contradicts this, for me, is at the beginning of the story when Lilia talks about Bianca being the one that helped/pushed for Lilia to go to college. I got the impression she was, not only intelligent (this attribute continues through the story) but also interested in the betterment of women in their place in the world, someone who could see past the vanity. It just made the rest of her personality seem out of place to me. A vain, vapid, clueless person does not seem like a person Lilia would connect so well with.

I enjoyed the story, but I didn't emotionally connect to the story and feel the tension until near the end. The only place that made me tear up, actually, was the last paragraph of the Author's Notes! But I will let you discover that gem on your own!

Reserved for bookstogive’s General Literature VBB

Journal Entry 3 by wingSpatialwing at Feminism / Girl Power Bookbox, Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, March 28, 2019

Released 4 mos ago (3/28/2019 UTC) at Feminism / Girl Power Bookbox, Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

♀ ♀ ♀ ♀ ♀ ♀ ♀ ♀ ♀ ♀

Taken out of bookstogive’s General Literature VBB

Adding to the Feminism / Girl Power Bookbox.

This book contains a little surprise for whoever chooses it! You can keep it if you want or leave it with the book. It is your choice either way! 💞 💞 💞

♀ ♀ ♀ ♀ ♀ ♀ ♀ ♀ ♀ ♀

Journal Entry 4 by ravencat at Buffalo, New York USA on Saturday, May 04, 2019
Chosen from the Feminism/GirlPower bookring and like the added little surprise!