The Auschwitz Violin

by Maria Àngels Anglada | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 1849019819 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingFifnawing of Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on 12/17/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingFifnawing from Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, December 17, 2017
"In the winter of 1991, at a concert in Krakow, an older woman with a marvellously pitched violin meets a fellow musician who is instantly captivated by her instrument. When he asks her how she obtained it, she reveals the remarkable story behind its origin. . . .

Imprisoned at Auschwitz, Daniel feels his humanity slipping away. Treasured memories of the young woman he loved become hazier with each passing day. But when Daniel's former identity as a crafter of fine violins is revealed, the Kommandant and the camp doctor use this information to make a cruel wager. And so, battling exhaustion, Daniel tries to recapture his lost art, knowing all too well the likely cost of failure."

Journal Entry 2 by wingFifnawing at Kotka, Kymenlaakso / Kymmenedalen Finland on Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (12/18/2017 UTC) at Kotka, Kymenlaakso / Kymmenedalen Finland

On its way to bookwormess as an HGG gift.

Journal Entry 3 by wingbookwormesswing at Kotka, Kymenlaakso / Kymmenedalen Finland on Thursday, December 28, 2017
Thank you so much for the surprise Fifna! I visited Auschwitz last summer, it was quite a moving trip and I'll remember some images and thoughts forever. The trip also made me even more curious about how prisoners and especially survivors made it day by day in hell on earth.

Journal Entry 4 by wingbookwormesswing at Kotka, Kymenlaakso / Kymmenedalen Finland on Friday, April 13, 2018
I honestly don't know what to say. Speechless. The story was unbelievably beautiful in all it's horribleness. The language was beautiful and the story itself built very well from the beginning to the end, you just can't know where it goes.

The holocaust was absolutely horrible, its unbelievable how someone can watch and enjoy seeing humans suffer in the most cruel way. Then again, as the story tells, there was hints of light every now and then until it got dark again. The book is definitely worth reading.

Thank you Fifna for sharing this with me.

Journal Entry 5 by wingbookwormesswing at Kotka, Kymenlaakso / Kymmenedalen Finland on Friday, April 13, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (4/16/2018 UTC) at Kotka, Kymenlaakso / Kymmenedalen Finland

The book will travel to the winner of the Music Sweeps.

******************
Congratulations, you've found a book I've released in the wild. It's yours now - you can keep it, give to someone you know or release it back in the wild. Thank you for letting me know you've found it! If you want, you're welcome to join Bookcrossing.com. :)

Journal Entry 6 by wingbluezwuzlwing at Altdorf (Niederbayern), Bayern Germany on Thursday, April 26, 2018
Many thanks for the book and all of its company! It arrived last weekend, but somehow I couldn' t make an JE up to now (the bc-site being awfully slow, these days!). I'll try to edit the forum-thread tomorrow. Hopefully things will be better then...
---
What a story! The fate of Daniel, his courage and his unbelievable achievement will be in my thoughts for a very long time...

Released 1 mo ago (5/28/2020 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Bayern Germany

The book now travels on in a book- exchange with Charly83

Lieber Finder!
Gratuliere, Du hast ein reisendes Buch gefangen. Viel Spaß beim Lesen und wieder Freilassen!
Gute Reise, liebes Buch - und laß' mal wieder von Dir hören...

Journal Entry 8 by wingCharly83wing at Schwerin, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern Germany on Saturday, May 30, 2020
Thank you for this book, bluezwuzl.