A Man Called Ove

by Fredrik Backman | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Lubiette of Kallithea, Attica Greece on 12/12/2017
Journal Entry 1 by Lubiette from Kallithea, Attica Greece on Tuesday, December 12, 2017
A grumpy yet loveable man finds his solitary world turned on its head when a boisterous young family moves in next door.

Journal Entry 2 by Lubiette at BookCrosser, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (12/12/2017 UTC) at BookCrosser, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

From the Tag game to rodespringbal, happy reading !

Journal Entry 3 by wingrodespringbalwing at Roosdaal, Vlaams-Brabant / Brabant Flamant Belgium on Wednesday, December 20, 2017
thanks for this tag ;-)

Journal Entry 4 by wingrodespringbalwing at Roosdaal, Vlaams-Brabant / Brabant Flamant Belgium on Sunday, February 18, 2018
This novel, set in Sweden, tells the story of Ove, who can best be described as a curmudgeon. The story takes place after the death of his wife, and shows how healing can occur with the unlikeliest of people, in the unlikeliest of ways.
Ove is a wonderful character. He is opinionated, cantankerous and utterly set in his ways. He is a man that has been left behind in many ways, unwilling to adapt and unable to understand the thought process that drives "modern man" in this technological era.

When his new neighbor's failed attempts to back a trailer up draws his attention, it is only the first of many humorous interactions to come. Despite his unpleasant disposition and perpetual crankiness, Ove seems to constantly be coming to the rescue of his newest neighbors. He comes off as "hard" at first, but it quickly becomes clear that he is a softie.

A series of comical and heart-warming events play out, which kept me laughing and smiling. Little by little, we are provided glimpses of Ove's past, experiencing the love he has for his deceased wife and the events that shaped him into the man he became. Slowly but surely, I fell in love with this gruff old man.

Determined to end his life and join his wife, fate combined with his his infallible values and sense of civic duty to repeatedly postpone his suicide. There's always something that he has to take care of before he can draw his last breath. Time after time, his plans are thwarted.

Overall, I thought this was a fantastic story. Everybody needs an Ove in their life!

Journal Entry 5 by wingrodespringbalwing at Roosdaal, Vlaams-Brabant / Brabant Flamant Belgium on Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (1/15/2019 UTC) at Roosdaal, Vlaams-Brabant / Brabant Flamant Belgium

to the winner in the sweep: 1ste name in title

Journal Entry 6 by wingFemke85wing at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on Friday, January 18, 2019
Dankjewel Rodespringbal!

I think this is a great book. It’s actually one of the first books I read in Swedish when I moved here. Really funny and heartwarming.

Since I already read this, I’ll do my best to find it a new home as soon as possible!

Journal Entry 7 by wingFemke85wing at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on Saturday, January 19, 2019

Released 4 wks ago (1/22/2019 UTC) at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden

Taking this book to work to give to a colleague. Hope she will like it as much as I did. Since she is new in Sweden, I hope it will give her a good idea about the life of certain Swedish old people, especially those who are board members of a bostadsrättförening.