Sharpe's Havoc: The Northern Portugal Campaign, Spring 1809

by Bernard Cornwell | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingengelsmanwing of Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on 12/10/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingengelsmanwing from Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, December 10, 2017
Be Prepared for Scenes of Great
ACTION & HEROICS

"What are we doing, sir?"
"We're charging that barricade, Seargeant."
"They'll fillet our guts, if you'll pardon me saying so, sir.
The buggers will turn us inside out."
"I know that," Sharpe said, "and you know that.
But do they know that?"

RICHARD SHARPE

Soldier, hero, rogue -- the man you always want on your side. Born in poverty, he joined the army to escape jail and climbed the ranks by sheer brutal courage. He knows no other family than the regiment of the 95th Rifles whose green jacket he proudly wears.

SHARPE'S HAVOC

In which a small British Army is
stranded when the French invade
northern Portugal and Lieuftenant
Richard Sharpe meets the future
DUKE of WELLINGTON.

Sharpe and a small group of Rifles are ordered to find a missing British heiress and bring her back to safety. Once cut off, their orders are countermanded by the charming Colonel Christopher who is not regular army but a Foreign Office stooge apparently charged with instigating mutiny within the French ranks. Sharpe ends up finding the heiress anyway, and that's when then his problems really start.

Sharpe is actually a very likeable hero -- in complete contrast to that cad Flashman whose stories cover a similar time period -- who contrives to do the right and honourable thing despite the adversity of army life.

A good bit of escapism to read while travelling.

Journal Entry 2 by wingengelsmanwing at OBCZ Hotel De Doelen in Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, July 21, 2018

Released 12 mos ago (7/21/2018 UTC) at OBCZ Hotel De Doelen in Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands

Relocated from Kapper Eric's to the bookshelf under the stairs