The Woman in Cabin 10

by Ruth Ware | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingjlautnerwing of Henderson, Nevada USA on 12/4/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingjlautnerwing from Henderson, Nevada USA on Friday, March 29, 2019
[Book registered using a prenumbered label]

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Friday, March 29, 2019
Arrived today from a paperbackswap member.

Journal Entry 3 by wingjlautnerwing at Henderson, Nevada USA on Friday, April 19, 2019
I liked In a Dark, Dark Wood well enough. "Good airplane read", I called it. Which means good enough to be absorbing but not great. I thought I'd enjoy another of Ruth Ware's books. But I didn't.

This one features Laura Blacklock (Lo), a travel journalist. She has the opportunity to sub for her boss on a cruise in a new small luxury ship, all-expenses paid, to report on the cruise, the illustrious owners and guests, the experience. However, two days before the ship is to sail, Lo's home is burgled and she is hurt when the burgler slams her bedroom door on her and seals her in. The trauma from that event follows her to the ship.

The story, narrated by Lo, is interspersed with occasional email messages, bits from newspaper items, other harbingers of what's to come. They indicate ahead of time that Lo has disappeared and the hunt is on. Meanwhile we follow Lo in her investigation of a strange incident.

In her cabin at night, Lo wakes to a sound. Splashing. She goes through the doors to her little balcony and looks over, to see what looks like the remains of a body going under the water. She notices blood on the railing of the cabin next door. Having met a person in that cabin earlier in the day, she fears the young woman has come to harm. Thus she calls on the ship's detective.

He doesn't seem to find any basis for her worry. The cabin next door, Cabin 10, is empty. Nothing but bare furnishings, the bed not made up. It was not occupied, he says. Lo had been drinking heavily during dinner and after, so he concludes that she has imagined it all, although he doesn't specifically say so.

Torn between her need to know what happened to the young woman and her need to report on the ship's happenings, Lo opts for the first. She shows little aptitude for schmoozing in any case.

In fact, I wondered how she became a travel writer to begin with. She stumbles around like a teenager, unable to produce a sensible sentence. But that doesn't stop others from wanting to know her better. I can only attribute this to Ware's wishful thinking.

Throughout, I was so unimpressed by Lo's lack of thinking ability, as well as by Ware's inability to build suspense that I find believable, that reading this book was a bit of a chore. I finished, hoping for some improvement, and found none.

*****ALERT*****Spoiler Alert*******

The plot doesn't make sense. The owner of the ship engages a young woman who is built like his sick wife, to pretend she is his wife after he kills her. His wife is the one with the money so it's understandable he wants the money. But she was deathly ill. Why not just wait a bit longer? Besides, what to do with the look-alike later? It never made sense to me why he would embark on this plan at all.

Journal Entry 4 by wingjlautnerwing at Henderson, Nevada USA on Friday, April 19, 2019
Posted on paperbackswap.

Journal Entry 5 by wingjlautnerwing at Henderson, Nevada USA on Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Released 2 mos ago (4/22/2019 UTC) at Henderson, Nevada USA

Sent to a paperbackswap member