Wildlife

by Richard Ford | Teens |
Registered by wingjlautnerwing of Henderson, Nevada USA on 1/17/2019
Journal Entry 1 by wingjlautnerwing from Henderson, Nevada USA on Thursday, January 17, 2019
Took from book box at Starbucks at Warm Springs and Julia in Henderson, NV yesterday.

Journal Entry 2 by wingjlautnerwing at Henderson, Nevada USA on Thursday, March 07, 2019
Narrative from the point of view of Joe Brinson, sixteen years old at the time of the story. Living in Great Falls, Montana in 1960, he watches his parents try to find a way to live there. His father was a golf pro, but the location and the economy weren't particularly good for golfing. Thus his father struck out for the hills when a fire broke out, determined to help fight the fire. During the time his father was gone, Joe's mother became interested in somebody else.

The story takes us through the affair and its aftermath, with Joe thinking back on it from years later.

I found the dialogue odd. People spoke in declarative sentences, rather than in a true give-and-take manner.

"Winter, winter, go away," she said, staring out the window. She looked around at me and smiled. "You're not dressed warmly enough. Next you'll be sick. Then "I'll be sick." She looked back outside. "Did you have a very enjoyable day at school?"

Odd, disjointed to me.

A quick read. I didn't really grasp it, sorry to say. I hope the next reader enjoys it more.

Note: several pages have pencil marks on them, marking passages. I didn't do that. I never do that.

Released 2 mos ago (3/11/2019 UTC) at Starbucks at Green Valley and Horizon Ridge in Henderson, Nevada USA

On a table inside.