Things Fall Apart

by Chinua Achebe | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingjlautnerwing of Henderson, Nevada USA on 12/6/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingjlautnerwing from Henderson, Nevada USA on Thursday, December 06, 2018
Arrived from Better World Books some time in the last week.

Journal Entry 2 by wingjlautnerwing at Henderson, Nevada USA on Friday, March 15, 2019
Over the years, from time to time, I heard of this book. I didn't know what it was specifically about but knew that Achebe writes about British rule of African nations. I expected that focus but not the way it is presented.

Okonkwo, a successful Ibo villager in Nigeria, raises a family according to tribal custom. He raises yams - the work of men only - and builds huts for his wives and himself. He is a champion wrestler in his younger years and tries to raise his older son in his image.

At first it seemed like a myth to me, but gradually I realized it is more than that. During a special event, Okonkwo makes a mistake that he has to make amends for. The required penance is to leave the village for seven years. Okonkwo takes his family and heads to his mother's village, where he is welcomed and where he starts all over.

Toward the end of the seven years some Christian missionaries arrive and ultimately settle into his mother's village, disturbing Okonkwo and many others. Over time, the Nigerian villages are taken over by white man's government, a government that does not understand the ways of the villages. Or even the language, for the most part.

Achebe achieves the goal of putting us into the villages and understanding their reactions to the new religion and the new government. We can see how some members of the clan can appreciate this new god, and even how some embrace the new government, while understanding how difficult it is for Okonkwo to accept. It is a powerful book with its messages woven into a sad story.

Journal Entry 3 by wingjlautnerwing at Starbucks @ W. Warm Springs & Julia St. in Henderson, Nevada USA on Monday, March 18, 2019

Released 2 mos ago (3/18/2019 UTC) at Starbucks @ W. Warm Springs & Julia St. in Henderson, Nevada USA

in the book box.