corner corner Sleeping with Literary Lions: The Booklover's Guide to Bed and Breakfasts

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, December 01, 2017

I found this softcover at a local thrift shop, and liked the concept - a guide to bed-and-breakfast spots that would appeal to booklovers! This one focuses on B&Bs in the United States, and while many of its entries may be out of date by now, it looks like an entertaining browse.

Later: Very entertaining indeed! While many of the reviews of specific B&Bs are indeed out of date, others are not, and there's plenty of reading matter on the literary lions whose workplaces, birthplaces, long-time residences, and even inspirations for fictional settings are described here. Lots of interesting trivia on the authors, too. I noticed several places that I've visited, and several more that I've driven past many times but have yet to stop at - will definitely have to plan a day-trip to Hartford CT to visit the Mark Twain house there...

There's an entry on the real-world cemetery that inspired Edgar Lee Masters' wonderful Spoon River Anthology - with some interesting trivia about how he selected his more noble characters from one township's graves and the more sinister ones from a rival town {wry grin}.

I did notice some rather surprising omissions, which I ascribe to the author's self-confessed bias for her own favorite authors. Rhode Island isn't represented at all, despite the strong identification of Providence with the work - and life - of H. P. Lovecraft. (The author apparently doesn't care for Lovecraft, but Poe is listed in this book and he did spend time in Providence too; maybe she doesn't like Rhode Island in general?) But other than that, I found the book enjoyable.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Town Hall, Kendall Rd in Tyngsboro, Massachusetts USA on Monday, January 01, 2018

Released 6 mos ago (1/1/2018 UTC) at Town Hall, Kendall Rd in Tyngsboro, Massachusetts USA

I left this book, bagged against the elements, in the little gazebo near the town hall on this bright but cold day. Hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Clean Start release challenge. ***