corner corner A Drinking Life

A Drinking Life
by Pete Hamill | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by wingifyouknewwing of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 11/30/2017

status (set by ifyouknew): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingifyouknewwing from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, November 30, 2017

This book has a pretty slow start. Hamill goes on at great length about his childhood, and I thought that part could have been condensed a little. (I did love his description of exploring the public library, though: “As I moved around those dark aisles, among books sad with dust or placed in some ghetto of the forbidden on high shelves… I began to find the entrance to the world.”)
Although the book is called ‘A Drinking Life’, Hamill doesn’t start drinking until page 112, when he finally turns 13. He doesn’t get around to drinking excessively until page 166, when he’s 16. (Young enough, of course, but also well over halfway through the book, which seems to have taken ages to get to this point.)
Even then, things never really get very interesting. Oddly, having belaboured every minor occurrence of his childhood, he proceeds to blast very quickly through his time spent in the military, his decision to marry, the birth of his children, and his time spent living in numerous foreign countries.
I honestly have no idea why I stuck with this book to the end. I kept thinking it was going to get better. I hope the next reader enjoys it more than I did.

Journal Entry 2 by wingifyouknewwing at Deerbrook Mall in Humble, Texas USA on Sunday, February 04, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (2/4/2018 UTC) at Deerbrook Mall in Humble, Texas USA

Released on a bench in the upper concourse, around 2 pm.