Crime and Poetry (A Magical Bookshop Mystery)

by Amanda Flower | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by eponine38 of Winchester, Massachusetts USA on 5/10/2018
Journal Entry 1 by eponine38 from Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, May 10, 2018
I was happy to find another copy of this recently-read book to share.

Here's the short review from the first copy:
This was fun! I love the bookstore with the old birch tree in the center. Violet is a sympathetic character, given her unpleasant past experiences that caused her to leave her home town and stay away for twelve years. The chief of police is intriguing and I would be happy if he and Violet end up together. Who knows?

Journal Entry 2 by eponine38 at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Friday, May 11, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (5/11/2018 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

Giving to GoryDetails via wishlist tag. :-)

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, May 11, 2018
Thanks so much for the wishlist book! Love the idea of a magical bookshop, complete with cat!

Later: I admit that I got rather annoyed with this one, despite the charm of the bookshop and the cat and the magical waters and the studly Native American sheriff and all. Among the annoyances: the rather casual "summoned home to become part of the family Secret Cult, which we never mentioned before because reasons"; yeah, this is a common trope in fiction, but I was as peeved as Violet was to find how manipulative dear Grandma was being, however good her reasons. (Granted, there was probably no way - given Violet's mother's early death - for Grandma to successfully explain the situation in a letter or phone call; Violet would have had her committed on the spot. But it was still vexing.)

Even more vexing were those dratted magical books, which had the standard "vague prophecy" tendency to present hard-to-decipher clues and to refuse - despite containing All The Words! - to find a more obvious way to communicate {wry grin}.

And I found Violet's inability to tell her former flame and his puppy-dog-eyed brother to leave her alone really irksome as well. Again, she had her reasons, but I'd have thought her reaction to the issues that made her leave town in the first place would have stiffened her resolve about being walked all over. Not, it seems, the case...

The plot itself was something of a letdown for me too, given all the magical buildup, but I didn't mind that as much as the many "why is she putting up with this?" bits. Maybe she'll get a grip in the next book!

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Benson Park in Hudson, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, June 17, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (6/17/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, Benson Park in Hudson, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this hot, sunny day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***