corner corner The Wicked Boy: An Infamous Murder in Victorian London

The Wicked Boy: An Infamous Murder in Victorian London
by Kate Summerscale | Nonfiction
Registered by wingmelydiawing of Centreville, Virginia USA on 11/26/2017

status (set by 6of8): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingmelydiawing from Centreville, Virginia USA on Sunday, November 26, 2017

Picked up at Givens Books in Lynchburg, Virginia. Registered in Centreville, Virginia, USA.

Journal Entry 2 by wingmelydiawing at Centreville, Virginia USA on Saturday, January 13, 2018

In the summer of1895 in London, at the age of 13, Robert Coombes murdered his mother, but her body wasn't discovered for 10 days. The trial was sensational, full of breathless hyperbole and endless speculation. After confessing to the crime, Robert was committed to Broadmoor, an asylum for the criminally insane, for well over a decade. And this was all very interesting, but how this book differs from most True Crime stories is that it continues to follow Robert for the rest of his life, from his release from Broadmoor to his military service to his last years. In the end, this tale of horror develops a thread of hope. A very different kind crime story, a little slow in places, with some unsatisfying (but understandable) gaps, but ultimately quite good.

Journal Entry 3 by wingmelydiawing at La Madeleine Bakery & Cafe in Alexandria, Virginia USA on Saturday, February 17, 2018

Released 4 wks ago (2/18/2018 UTC) at La Madeleine Bakery & Cafe in Alexandria, Virginia USA

Taking to the BCinDC meetup in Alexandria. Hope it gets claimed!

Welcome to BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 4 by wing6of8wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, etc, Virginia USA on Monday, February 19, 2018

I am on a true crime kick these days. I also have no time to read and a bazillion books on Mt TBR. Still, I brought it home.