BRIDGE, THE

by John Skipp | Horror |
Registered by buffyfan of Rochester, New York USA on 3/24/2004
Journal Entry 1 by buffyfan from Rochester, New York USA on Wednesday, March 24, 2004
This isn't part of a trade, but part of a bookring. It's starting off with SJ, a fellow bookcrosser.

Journal Entry 2 by residentwolff from Benton, Arkansas USA on Thursday, April 01, 2004
Not one of their better efforts. Thanks for passing it on though buffyfan!

Journal Entry 3 by residentwolff at Controlled Release in Vineland, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, April 13, 2004
Release planned for Friday, April 16, 2004 at Part of a bookring in Vineland, New Jersey USA.

Journal Entry 4 by mellion108 from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Saturday, November 27, 2004
Got this in last weekend from Anni. Thank ya kindly! I'll read it and pass it along to the next victim...erm...participant. ;-)
Paperback, 420 pages
From the back cover:
When the great storm comes, the good life ends. And hell on earth begins.

For a hundred years, we've been tossing our toxic waste over our shoulders. No more. This morning, while we slept, something woke up. It's virulent. Malign. Intelligent. Ambitious. It's in our food, our water, our air. It's inside our bodies themselves. And it's not leaving.

We are.

Journal Entry 5 by mellion108 from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Wednesday, December 15, 2004
I finished this one earlier tonight. So disappointing! Normally I really enjoy Skipp & Spector. I love thier splatter-punk and sense of outright disgusting terror. ;-) But this one felt less like a horror novel and more like an overwrought morality tale. I probably could handle that except it's not that well written (which is a total shock). I'm not sorry I read it since I really want to read all of Skipp & Spector's books, but this one is far from one of their better stories.

This one will soon be crawling its way to Jaremeister.

Thanks for sharing, buffyfan!

Journal Entry 6 by wingjarewing from Port Richey, Florida USA on Tuesday, January 11, 2005
Book arrived safe and sound today... off to my TBR it goes. This is the next bookring book in my pile, so it will be next. I have a bunch of Skipp and Spector novels, but the only thing I've read would be the Book of the Dead collections, so this will be my first time reading their actual writings. The story sounds awesome, although the reviews so far have me just a wee bit aprehensive. I'll give it a shot and if not satisfied, I will keep an open mind regarding their other works.

Journal Entry 7 by wingjarewing from Port Richey, Florida USA on Saturday, March 12, 2005
I really enjoyed this book. Witty and scary in the same breath. I love their style, am anxious now to read more of their novels!

Yes, as mellion108 pointed out, it did feel a bit preachy at times, but I feel that is something we really never should get enough preaching about. The environment isn't something we should be messing with, and this was a chilling albeit farfetched account of just how far we have taken things. Thanks for sharing, buffyfan, this will be on it's way to Jamieh2003 soon!

**** UPDATE -- 05-08-2005

Sorry for the delay, this was just shipped to Jamie today.

Journal Entry 8 by jamieh2003 from Wiley Ford, West Virginia USA on Sunday, June 05, 2005
Well, while it isn't one of my favorites by S&S it wasn't all bad. There were some truly creative and icky ways to die explored here;-)

Overall, it was a decent read and I liked the contact information in the back of the book where you can learn more about conservation, recycling and the like.

Thanks for sharing and I'll get this back to the vampster in Monday's mail.