The Book of Old Houses: A Home Repair Is Homicide Mystery

Where's this book been?
by Sarah Graves | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 12/15/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, December 15, 2017
I got this paperback at the Book Cellar; it's the January selection for the book-group. I've read a couple of other books in this series about home renovator "Jake" Tiptree and her family and friends; its coastal-Maine setting adds some regional interest.

This book is actually a continuation of Trap Door, though I was able to enjoy it as a stand-alone book. Here, we get two alternating points of view: one by Jake Tiptree, the series protagonist, who's losing her temper with the badly-cramped-and-out-of-date bathroom in her ongoing-renovation-project house, and another by Dave, a mysterious character who's come to town to try and solve the murder of his mentor and friend Horace, who died in the previous book after being sent a rare volume that Jake found behind the basement walls of her house. The plot threads twine, suspects come and go, questions of the value - and autheticity - of the book arise, and a mildly-surprising villain causes more deaths before being detected.

I was pleased that some of my speculations about Dave and his mysterious Providence RI past were, in fact, borne out by the previous book - and I'd like to read more about *him*; I found Jake less interesting at this point in her own series. But it's a decent light read, and I might dip into more of the series.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Fitch Bridge Rd in Groton, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, January 14, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (1/14/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, Fitch Bridge Rd in Groton, Massachusetts USA

I left the book in this Little Free Library - where I was amused to spot another book of mine, that I'd released in Ayer a while back. Hope the finder enjoys this one!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]