In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex

by Nathaniel Philbrick | History |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 11/20/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, November 20, 2017
I got this softcover from the charity-sale shelves at a local Hannaford's. I'd read the book when it first came out, and enjoyed it very much; was glad to find a release copy.

This is the true account of the harrowing events surrounding the sinking of the whaleship Essex in 1819; it was struck by a sperm whale in what seemed to be a deliberate attack, and is one of the main inspirations for Melville's classic novel Moby Dick.

The book describes the nature of life on a whaleship, leading up to the hunt that resulted in the wreck of the ship and the subsequent attempt of the crew to reach safety in three small boats. Since the wreck occurred in mid-Pacific, they had 3,000 miles to go - not a good bet... The struggles and suffering of the survivors as they fought rough seas, thirst, starvation, and exposure, is an epic in itself...

[There's a 2015 film based - somewhat loosely - on the book, with changes of focus and character that rather annoyed me. The TV Tropes page on the film has references to the changes from the book, as well as other interesting tidbits.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Rocky Hill Rd in Plymouth, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, November 23, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (11/24/2017 UTC) at Little Free Library, Rocky Hill Rd in Plymouth, Massachusetts USA

I left the book in the Little Free Library on this lovely afternoon, on my way to a Thanksgiving dinner at Plimoth Plantation. Hope the finder enjoys the book!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2017 The The release challenge. ***