House of Ashes

by Monique Roffey | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingJ4shawwing of Boise, Idaho USA on 11/19/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingJ4shawwing from Boise, Idaho USA on Sunday, November 19, 2017
Purchased from a charity shop in North Wales, UK

About the book: Published June 19th 2014
The City of Silk is seething. The corrupt government has been ruling over the people too long and the city is becoming restless. Then one hot evening The Leader, a head of a group of rebels, gathers his followers and tells them: 'Today, we will be making history. For ourselves, and our fellow countrymen of Sans Amen.' And so a ragtag collection of men and boys take up arms and storm two of the most important buildings in the city: the house of power and the television studios. Together they will take back what is rightfully theirs. Caught up in the madness is Ashes. A bookish, learned man, he has been swept up by The Leader's powerful rhetoric. But now that words have turned to action he is not so sure anymore. And trapped inside the government building with the rebels is Aspasia. A proud woman, a mother of boys, she sees much of her sons in these boys with guns in their hands and power in their eyes.

My Review: read 16th December, 2017
This is the 4th of Monique Roffey's novels that I have read, and I felt this one was particularly political, compared to her others.
Although set on a fictitious island in the Caribbean, the book is somewhat based on the 1990 attempted coup d’état in Trinidad.
Told through various viewpoints, I felt mostly drawn to Ashes, and was somewhat disappointed that the final part of the book was centred around another character, Breeze.
An overall enjoyable read.

Journal Entry 2 by wingJ4shawwing at Boise, Idaho USA on Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (1/30/2018 UTC) at Boise, Idaho USA

Mailed to the winner of Authors from unusual countries sweepstakes - January 2018

Monique Roffey is an award-winning Trinidadian-born writer.
Born: 1965, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago

Journal Entry 3 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, February 06, 2018
Thank you for the book. This author is new to me. This sweepstakes is a great way to be introduced to new authors.

---------------------------------
Updated December 12, 2018

I liked the book and grew to care about most of the characters. I also wish the ending has a bit more on Ashes. Overall, it is a good read and I would love to read more from this author.

Reserved for Edwardstreet as a wishlist tag.

Journal Entry 4 by wingmcsarwing at Wishlist tag game, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, January 08, 2019

Released 9 mos ago (1/8/2019 UTC) at Wishlist tag game, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

On its way to Edwardstreet as a wishlist tag. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by wingEdwardstreetwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Sunday, January 27, 2019
a lovely letter box surprise, you always have such great titles and thanks for the wee inclusions

Reserving for the winner of International Authors sweep.
Based on an attempted Trinidadian coup.
Poses the question; are the revolutionaries pawns in a bigger game?

Off to the winner of authors of unusual countries sweep.
However I am travelling to Australia at the end of the month so will post it then

Journal Entry 8 by book-a-neer at Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, April 16, 2019
Sounds interesting. Thanks for sending.