corner corner I Spy Treasure Hunt: A Book of Picture Riddles

I Spy Treasure Hunt: A Book of Picture Riddles
by Jean Marzollo, Walter Wick | Children's Books
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 11/19/2017

status (set by AnonymousFinder): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, November 19, 2017

I found this hardcover at a local Savers thrift shop, and was pleased to have another release copy.

I've enjoyed several of the "I Spy" books by now, as well as some of Walter Wick's own "Can You See What I See" books. This one's among the best of the lot, as far as I'm concerned. It does follow the usual pattern of intricately-designed miniature sets with lots of tiny, often hard-to-spot details in them, that challenge the reader to pick out the items named in the accompanying rhymes. But this one has an overall theme as well, and its set is consistent throughout - that is, each scene includes a view of the next location, sometimes far away, sometimes nearby, and all the scenes are part of one big, glorious miniature set! There's even a treasure map, which shows the locations already visited in the town as well as those still to come, and which itself hides a number of shapes in its illustrations and borders. [There are "extra credit" riddles at the end, to use when one has found all the other items. And there's a special figure that appears in each picture, and that can be very, very hard to spot!]

There's a TV Tropes page on the series, with some entertaining tidbits.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Joshua's Park in Amherst, New Hampshire USA on Friday, January 19, 2018

Released 6 mos ago (1/20/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, Joshua's Park in Amherst, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this grey afternoon; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Bedford, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, March 22, 2018

Discovered at a school library.