corner corner Ancient Enemy

Ancient Enemy
by Mark Lukens | Horror
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 11/18/2017

status (set by GoryDetails): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, November 18, 2017

I got this softcover at a local Savers thrift shop, attracted by the title and the snowy-wilderness cover image. It's about an archaeologist who finds herself on the run with a small Native American boy - but their flight is interrupted by a pair of carjackers, and it's unclear who's the greatest threat. Well, at first... We find out that there's a nasty supernatural power in hot pursuit, and when the group is trapped in an old cabin by a blizzard they find themselves - and any potential help - picked off one by one.

While the setup was good, I admit the story didn't grab me; the characters all seemed pretty flat, and the little twist at the end was something I'd foreseen from about page 2. Some grisly and creepy scenes, yes, but not as good as I'd hoped.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Park Social in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, January 21, 2018

Released 6 mos ago (1/22/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, Park Social in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book at the Little Free Library this afternoon; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]