Things Fall Apart

by Chinua Achebe | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingNorthernLightswing of Erlangen, Bayern Germany on 11/13/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingNorthernLightswing from Erlangen, Bayern Germany on Monday, November 13, 2017
50th Anniversary Edition

Journal Entry 2 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, December 10, 2017
I've been wanting to read this book ever since I read Arrow of God by the same author. Thanks to NorthernLights I can now do so.

Journal Entry 3 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, September 20, 2018
Well, it is easy to see why this book is on so many book lists. The latest is the PBS Great American Read list. Achebe really was a master. It is amazing that this was his first published book written when he was still in his 20s.

The book is set in Nigeria prior to and then after colonization by England. I've read a few books that have been set in this period but this may be the first one written by a Nigerian who may have heard stories about that time from his grandparents. It centres around a successful man, Okonkwe, who had risen in his tribe despite his father's bad reputation as a wastrel and a coward. Then, really through no fault of his own, Okonkwe was exiled from his village and had to start over in his mother's village. After seven years he could return to his own village but in that intervening time colonization had come to his village. He saw his way of life disappearing; even his son joined the Christian religion.

Although there were many things about the old tribal ways (twins were abandoned in the forest, wives were at the beck and call of their husband, violence and wars were common) that I did not like, at the end I felt very sorry for Okonkwe. I just read another book about how the coming of the whites to the Great Plains destroyed the tribal life of the Comanches. Colonization always seems to result in some group losing their heritage; let's hope than when humans do eventually reach the stars we do a better job.

Journal Entry 4 by winggypsysmomwing at Second Cup – Graham & Edmonton in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, September 27, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (9/27/2018 UTC) at Second Cup – Graham & Edmonton in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

I will be taking this book to the Winnipeg BookCrossers meet-up for September. If no-one takes it home you will find it on the shelves of the OBCZ (Official BookCrossing Zone) at the Second Cup.

When you find a BookCrossing book it is yours to do with what you like. You can read it and keep it or pass it on or if you don't think it is your kind of book pass it on to someone who might like it or release it in a spot for someone else to find like you just did. Whatever you choose it would be great if you could write a short note letting us know what new adventures the book is on.

Journal Entry 5 by wingPooker3wing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, September 28, 2018
I picked this book up from the September BookCrossing meeting. It's one of those books that you always said you'd read but never got around to. Maybe now is the time. Thanks gypsysmom !