Water for Elephants

by Sara Gruen | Romance |
ISBN: 1616200715 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingSqueakyChuwing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 11/13/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Monday, November 13, 2017
I selected this book on 11/11/17 at newly reopened The Book Thing of Baltimore. Thank you so much!

I'm releasing this book for...

***The 2018 Clean Start Release Challenge hosted by BOOKWORMINUSALL for zbird. The book's title contains the word WATER.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 3 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Tuesday, February 27, 2018
Caght!

Thank you for returning this book to the Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720). I'll be saving it to go out for Round #2.

--------------------

I read another copy of this book in 2009. This is what I wrote about it after I read it...

I never liked circuses all that much, but Sara Gruen’s book is certainly vastly different than Toby Tyler or Ten Days with a Circus that I read as a kid. Perhaps that was the last time I read a book about a circus. Given the human cruelty and animal abuse in Water for Elephants, that’s probably why. Nevertheless, I found this book amazingly readable despite its making me squirm at times.

The story opens with a murder, sort of the shadowy kind in which the reader has no understanding of its details. Following this, a 93-year-old man remembers, as a young man, having joined a travelling circus. His story is told in flashbacks with scenes moving from a nursing home back and forth to his circus experiences.

The cast of characters is interesting as well, but I loved none more than the old man himself who constantly wonders about his aging so quickly, his deteriorating body image, and his family’s distancing themselves. Reflecting back on his time at the Benzino Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth, he remembers a beautiful, pink-sequined woman performer, a stereotypical “bad guy” circusmaster, a dog with a stumpy tail, and a performing elephant who only understands Polish. These are only the beginning of the book’s cast of characters.

This novel is easy to read and is accompanied by vintage black-and-white circus pictures which more clearly define life in a 1930’s circus. The story flows well and exhorts the reader to move along quickly to see what happens next. Not perfect by any means, as there were some situations which seemed a bit contrived or not entirely realistic, Water for Elephants certainly turned out to be a most engaging read, and a book I would highly recommend to others.

Going out for Round #2...

--------------------------------

I'm releasing this book for...

*** The 2018 4 Elements Release Challenge hosted by Firegirl. The book title contains the word WATER.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 5 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Thursday, March 22, 2018

Released 9 mos ago (5/19/2018 UTC) at Gaithersburg City Hall Concert Pavilion and Grounds in Gaithersburg, Maryland USA

I'm releasing this book in the BookCrossing booth at the Gaithersburg Book festival!

----------------------------------

Hello and welcome to BookCrossing ... where we make the whole world a
library!