Among Others

by Jo Walton | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by keksimonsteri of Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa / Norra Österbotten Finland on 11/11/2017
Journal Entry 1 by keksimonsteri from Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa / Norra Österbotten Finland on Saturday, November 11, 2017
"It doesn't matter. I have books, new books, and I can bear anything as long as there are books."

When Mori discovers that her mother is using black magic, she decides to intervene. The ensuing clash between mother and daughter leaves Mori bereft of her twin sister, crippled for life and unable to return to the Welsh Valleys that were her own kingdom.

Mori finds solace and strength in her beloved books. But her mother is bent on revenge, and nothing and no one - not even Tolkien - can save her from the final reckoning.

I was all ready to love this book (diary format! faerie! book references!) when I picked it up, but while I liked some of it, some of it was just... meh. I read it in 2013 and can't remember much about it now - I did like it how it highlighted the importance of books and libraries.

Journal Entry 2 by keksimonsteri at Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa / Norra Österbotten Finland on Saturday, November 11, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (11/11/2017 UTC) at Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa / Norra Österbotten Finland

Vaihtoi omistajaa miitissä.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, November 11, 2017
Thank you for this wishlist RABCK!

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, August 08, 2018
A heartwarming, intelligent and perceptive story with interesting characters and atmospheric setting. I loved the combination of real and magical, sad, touching and funny. Despite the fantasy elements, it's very believable, too. And who wouldn't adore a book that is based on the love of reading and books!

Journal Entry 5 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, August 08, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (8/11/2018 UTC) at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Wishlist RABCK for Kemppu.

Journal Entry 6 by Kemppu at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, August 12, 2018
Thank you for the wishlist book!