William Shakespeare's The Clone Army Attacketh: Star Wars Part the Second (William Shakespeare's Star Wars)

by Ian Doescher | Plays & Scripts |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 11/11/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, November 11, 2017
I enjoyed The Phantom of Menace very much, and wanted more; picked up this hardcover at Barnes and Noble today. It is, of course, a retelling of "Attack of the Clones", told in Shakespearian style. Continuing from the previous book, Jar Jar gets a lot of soliloquies about how he's deliberately hiding his intelligence behind the guise of a hapless clown; whether this will pay off in-story remains to be seen! Yoda continues to speak in haiku while nearly everyone else gets iambic pentameter (even R2-D2).

In addition to the reliance on the "Star Wars" plots, the author pulls in pop-culture references; during the scene where Yoda and Obi-Wan ask the young Jedi trainees about the missing planet, Yoda murmurs:

"Once th'impossible
Hath been eliminated,
What remains is truth."

Hee! And, later on, when Obi-Wan faces Dooku, the Count retorts with:

"You have it wrong, my friend. What we have here
Is but a failure to communicate."

I think that Doescher's interpretation of the scenes between Anakin and Padme are a huge improvement over the film's version; one might imagine some actual chemistry here {wry grin}.

I also like the author's use of the occasional "those two guys" scenes; here "Jedi 1" and "Jedi 2" discuss possibilities, including some alternate future where people "gather round to see our stories played" - they agree this is highly unlikely!

More fun: in the big arena scene, the three monsters are presented as speaking characters here - and some of their lines echo the witches from "Macbeth". It works to surprising effect, and since the book can't present the special effects of the big screen, having the monsters discuss their own goals and problems while the main characters are fighting them makes the whole thing very lively and entertaining.

The author's notes at the end are also worth reading.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, February 24, 2018

Released 12 mos ago (2/24/2018 UTC) at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA

I'm taking this to this afternoon's BookCrossing meetup at Panera in Porter Square, Cambridge; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Science Fiction release challenge. ***

*** Released for the 2018 Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes release challenge, for the embedded "ear" in the title. ***

*** Released for the 2018 Theater release challenge. ***

Journal Entry 3 by stormysweetie at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, March 13, 2018
Picked this up at the Saturday meetup. Looks like fun! Setting aside in my to be read pile.

Journal Entry 4 by amyem at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, August 15, 2018
Orphaned at Boston August 2018 meetup and bound for the work book sharing shelf.

Journal Entry 5 by amyem at CfA Book Sharing Shelf in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Released 6 mos ago (8/15/2018 UTC) at CfA Book Sharing Shelf in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA

Planned for a stay on the work book sharing shelf