corner corner The Chalk Pit: The Dr Ruth Galloway Mysteries 9

The Chalk Pit: The Dr Ruth Galloway Mysteries 9
by Author unknown | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingPlum-crazywing of Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 1/27/2018

status (set by Plum-crazy): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingPlum-crazywing from Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, January 27, 2018

Norwich is riddled with old chalk-mining tunnels, but no one's sure how many. When Ruth Galloway is called in to investigate a set of human remains found in one of them, she notices the bones are almost translucent, a sign they were boiled soon after death. Once more, she finds herself at the helm of a murder investigation.

Meanwhile, DCI Nelson is hunting for a missing homeless woman who he hears has gone "underground." Could she have disappeared into the labyrinth? And if so, is she connected to the body Ruth found?

As Ruth and Nelson investigate the tunnels, they hear rumors of secret societies, cannibalism, and ritual killings. When a dead body is found with a map that appears to depict the Underground, they realize their quest to find the killer has only just begun - and that there may be more bodies underfoot.

Journal Entry 2 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 24, 2018

"The Chalk Pit" is book 9 in the excellent Ruth Galloway series & for me it was one I really enjoyed.

I thought the storyline for this book was a particularly good one. Homeless people are being murdered, women are vanishing, bones are appearing - it's all go!- & the idea of the existence of underground towns is a fascinating one. As ever Griffiths weaves together an intriguing yet plausible plot.

However, I have to say, as I am so caught up in the lives, loves & relationships of the characters etc that the crime/mystery side is almost just a bonus...they are all just so real to me! Ruth maybe an expert in her field at work but her imperfections & flaws in her personal life make her a realistic character as well as an endearing one ...someone I'd like to be friends with. I even like little Kate, so many children of this age seem to come over as obnoxious, precocious brats but she's a great little personality in her own right.

The triangle between Ruth, Nelson & Michelle is now complicated further as ....*SPOILER ALERT*... Michelle is pregnant but I have my doubts about who's the daddy.... guess I'll have to wait for"The Dark Angel" before I find anything else out.

While all the books in the series work well as stand-alones, working through in the right order (as I have for once!) helps you understand the relationships better. A great read & one of my favourites in the series.