Lesbian Nuns : Breaking Silence

by Rosemary Curb, Nancy Manahan | Gay & Lesbian |
Registered by wingerishkigalwing of Salt Lake City, Utah USA on 11/8/2017
Journal Entry 1 by wingerishkigalwing from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Wednesday, November 08, 2017
This is the picture on my cover, but in English.

Non-fiction book in which 51 women who are or were nuns tell their stories of faith, of joining and in most cases leaving the convent, of "particular friendships," of their journeys through conflict... Most of these women entered the convent in the early 60's, growing up in a time when girls were automatically expected to marry. Stories are told by the women themselves, not professional writers, and at times that can seem repetitive, yet that is also what lends a kind of depth and power to this collection.

This has been on my shelf a long time, and I reread it specifically to release into emmjo's lbgtq box.......Now I'm finding it strangely difficult to let it go....

Journal Entry 2 by wingerishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (11/15/2017 UTC) at Salt Lake City, Utah USA

Sending off in the LBGTQ bookbox to find it's next home~

Journal Entry 3 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Tuesday, December 05, 2017
This book rode to the end of the bookbox.

Journal Entry 4 by emmejo at Cortland, New York USA on Wednesday, February 20, 2019
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and experiencing the different voices of the nuns and former nuns who contributed. I often found myself wondering what these women are up to now, since it is a few decades old, and what the experience is like for modern-day lesbian nuns, since Western society as a whole has shifted a lot on sexuality, while the Catholic Church has been more moderate. Many of the women interviewed here discuss how they had no idea lesbianism existed, or only had a vague notion. In the internet age, with popular media that shows gay characters existing (even if they are not portrayed well in many cases) that seems like it would happen less.

I was also fascinated by their discussions of interpretations of celibacy, and the diverse ways they have responded to mesh their religious beliefs with their romantic interests, with varying degrees of comfort and success.

Journal Entry 5 by emmejo at Cortland, New York USA on Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Released 4 mos ago (4/23/2019 UTC) at Cortland, New York USA

Added to the Feminism/Girl Power bookbox.

Journal Entry 6 by lemondrop622 at Englewood, Colorado USA on Monday, May 20, 2019
This looked too interesting to not take out of the feminism/girl power book-box. Thanks for releasing :)